This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

High Battery Drain - Potential Workaround

The below steps are meant to address complaints of increased battery drain that some have reported after recent updates. These steps may not work for 100% of users experiencing this, and for those of you please know we are continuing investigation into a permanent fix. 

Also, we understand that there are other threads on these topics and ask that users only respond to this post if you have attempted the below steps. Whether this works or not, we would like to hear that to aid us moving forward. Thank you all for your patience while we look into this. 

1. From the Settings->Music menu, change the music provider to either “Control Phone” or “My Music”. Exit the settings menu to the main watch face.
  2. Power off the watch via the normal method, and then power the device back on. The battery drain should return to normal for the duration of the power cycle.
  3. If you prefer to use another music provider, please follow steps 1 and 2 before selecting your preferred music provider. 

If your device restarts for any reason, or if your battery consumption increases again, please repeat these steps. 

• I have the non-music version and have been experiencing such high battery drain this device will no longer be useful once I enter an endurance training cycle this summer, whereas before it was fine for nearly 7 hours of recording....the reason I upgraded to it in the first place. Do you have a workaround yet for those with the non-music version?

• I have a music version.
    Sorry, but I did not use your advice at 4.00.
    But I returned to 3.52 beta and I like the result of this firmware much more.

My statistics from "Device usage" (standart garmin widget avaliable on beta firmware):

Uptime: 7d:06:28:37

GCM: 7d:05:45:51

Low Power: 6d:20:23:57

GPS: 03:17:41 (gps+glonass)

Backlight: 00:47:48

OHR scan: 00:31:11

ANT scan: 00:25:30

BLE scan: 00:25:18

WIFI: 00:00:00

Battery remained: 7.0 %

• I just got back from a run. I followed these steps (and use Spotify as my music - followed step 3 too). 

My “settings” were:

• GPS/Glosnas 
    • Phone connected (iPhone 11pro)
    • Bluetooth headphones to watch (AirPods if that makes a difference)
    • Data recording every second. 
    • SW 4.00

My run lasted just over 1 hour (1:02:26) over 7.08 miles. 

I lost 20-21 % battery (started at 61% and ended at 40%)

After ending the run and stretching/cool down, the watch was back to “watch” mode and lost another 2-3 % over the next 10-15 minutes. 

Does this seem like a battery issue?

• Update:

another run today. 4 miles over 31:14 minutes. 
    no music via FR245 (a recent battery charge/sync seemed to have corrupted an update of Spotify so the same 3 songs played in a loop). 
    Settings for this run

• gps/glonas
    • phone not connected
    • no bluetooth
    • data recording every second 
    • sw 4.0

started run with 97%. Ended with 94%. I realize Bluetooth will use additional battery, but between this run and my previous (and extrapolating the data to “match”) it seems excessive. 

hope this helps!

• What about the non-music users? 1 month ago my watch used to have a 7 day + autonomy and now I barely get 5 days. With every update the autonomy suffers more and more. Do you have any testing infrastructure to monitor the battery consumption over there?

• I have done this several times over the past few days and my battery drain is still excessive. That said, thank you for continuing to work on a fix!

• This appears to have solved it for me. 4 days since completing the steps above and I still have 50% battery, it would have likely died today or yesterday otherwise. I've done two ~1-hour indoor activities without using Spotify.