This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

elevation gain

Hello,

is there any way to display elevation gain, not just current elevation during activity tracking?

Thanks

Top Replies

All Replies

• Seams like there is no data field about this information natively:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner245/EN-US/GUID-0684AD26-6091-4648-9205-D01CBCCE759E.html

But there are some Connect IQ apps/data field regarding this which you can try to find the one the suits you...

• Is correct. There is no native data field for Elevation Gain, but there may be a solution in the Connect IQ store. 

• Is there any plan to address this in future software updates? I recently bought the Forerunner 245 and (wrongly) assumed this feature would come standard. This has been a mainstay feature in GPS units for some time and is quite useful data for trail runners. Definitely a bit disappointed in Garmin on this one.

• Same here. I recently upgraded from an Amazfit to the Garmin Forerunner 245 Music and I am disappointed not to have this data field anymore. This is particularly useful for trail running and mountain biking, in my case.

I believe it would not be too difficult to add this data field as there is already the information for the total elevation gain when the activity is finished. The only thing missing is the possibility to view the current elevation gain during the activity.

I would be very grateful for Garmin to include this in the next software update.

• The elevation gain is calculated afterwards from the GPS trail in Garmin Connect as there is no barometer in this watch that would allow it to do it during an activity.

The watch literally lacks the hardware so it’s not just some they could simply add in software 

• Yeah... the total elevation gain is calculated through GPS data instead of a barometer. I still don't see how that would prevent an estimation of current elevation gain as the activity develops and the GPS points are recorded.

The same way Amazfit does it basically (my previous smartwatch did not have a barometer as well).

• Actually GPS data contains current elevation (otherwise, how could the watch tell you your elevation in the 'elevation' data field?). All GPS devices can calculate current elevation through triangulation, some also have barometers to give more accurate data once calibrated. The only thing missing in the Forerunner 245 is the code to sum the changes in elevation throughout the duration of the activity.

Take for example the old Garmin Foretrex 301 which does not have a barometer but had no trouble calculating and showing ascent while recording a track. While I love the overall look and performance of the Forerunner 245, it's frustrating that Garmin removed some of the most basic GPS device fields (namely tracking ascent during activity) but kept in fields such as 'destination waypoint' and 'next waypoint' on a device that is not really intended for practical navigation. 

• Couldn't agree more

• It can and has being done, just not by Garmin.

3rd party elevation gained data field:

apps.garmin.com/.../2bc8b0c1-dd83-4679-96f1-0ae2a0925920

3rd party elevation changed data field:

apps.garmin.com/.../07c1d4f5-9668-4a8f-ab3e-33b156a1e130

Unfortunately, you only allowed 2 3rd party data fields per most activities (rowing only allows one), so if you use both of these, you not be able to use any other 3rd party data fields from the ConnectIQ store.

• the total elevation gain is calculated through GPS data instead of a barometer. I still don't see how that would prevent an estimation of current elevation gain as the activity develops and the GPS points are recorded

It won't unless the GPS signal becomes weak (tree cover, heavy clouds roll in, etc) during your activity.  GPS elevation accuracy is + or - 400 feet according to Garmin. 

support.garmin.com/.../

Even though exact elevation isn't important because the concern is ascent/descent, the issue may arise if the GPS signal weakens.  For example, let's say the GPS elevation is spot on at the start of your activity.  Then your trail takes you into a wooded area where the GPS signal is weak.  That weaken signal can now have a vertical error of 50' even though your elevation never changed.  Horizontal error will be much less, so elevation corrections will adjust the elevation based on survey maps, but that is after you complete your activity.  Using just GPS during the activity can be done, but the likelihood of error is great enough to not be useful in my opinion and I believe this is the reason why Garmin doesn't have the data field for watches without a barometer.  If you read the notes on accuracy for the IQ apps mentioned, the developer acknowledges the same challenges.