This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Calibration is not saved when running on treadmill on FR245. Don’t know what to do

Hi, I would appreciate if the FR245 users who run on a treadmill could tell me if they noticed that they can’t save the treadmill calibration. I have a calibration save issue, that I reported in a previous post.. I have an open case with Garmin. They told me that only 18 other people so far reported this issue, and they will start working on this when they have more people with this problem. I mean 18 is not enough?. I find this totally ridiculous.

First of all, if the calibration cannot be saved, the watch will always report incorrect distance, pace, and speed values when running on a treadmill. For example during a run, instead of 5km it shows 3km. This is a huge huge difference. I have tried everything, I have purchased a Garmin running dynamics pod, but no success. I tried to change stride length, no success.

When during a run this information is so much off compared to the real correct values, I cannot use any of the Garmin features, the laps are incorrect, the speed the pace, the cadence are incorrect or when I use the Garmin Coach, the information how long to run, at what speed, cadence etc. everything is screwed up. At the end of a run, you can specify the distance run but at the next run you have to do it again. Information sent to Strava is incorrect. Garmin admitted this is a known issue, I mean they know about, and they simply don’t care because there are not enough people who reported it.

I really don’t know what to do, and don’t understand why is Garmin behaving like this, I have purchased their product which is not cheap, and I simply can’t use it. I can’t use it really. The reseller who sold me the watch says they won’t take it back because it’s been 2.5 months since the purchase.

I don’t have any idea if Garmin is monitoring this forum, but it’s the only place where I can yell and complain. On the phone with Garmin customer support I already did it without success.

Did any of you went through situations like this?

Anybody else having the same problem? Please

• I cannot tell if it’s a hardware or a software issue

Correction I have a FR245M , not a FR245. but it shouldn’t matter.

• I have the same issue.  No matter how many times i calibrate, I get about 60% of the distance the treadmill.  

• My 945 also has this problem. I specifically came to the forums today to see if others have this problem. How can I become the 19th reporter?

In the meantime, I have written a program to fix the bad data uploaded to Strava.

It requires knowing how to use Python in the command line, and you have to do it for every activity.

At least this way my Strava friends don't laugh when an activity (wrongly) says I ran 42mi on the treadmill.

• I have a Fenix 5X and experience the same issue.  The watch records ~50% of the speed/distance during the run.  I calibrate and save after the run, but not all metrics are corrected by this calibration.  And of course, the biggest problem is the next run needs to go through the same process.  This is definitely something Garmin should fix.

• I just got my FR245 as a Christmas present, and I have the same issue with treadmill runs.  It seemed to calibrate on my first treadmill run, and then I never got the option to calibrate again for my second treadmill run.  Also, the data uploaded to Strava was non-calibrated (i.e., wrong) data.  This should be so easy to fix, and it appears that the whole Garmin Forerunner product line has been suffering from this bug for at least 8 months.  Very frustrating!

• I just got my FR245 as a Christmas present, and I have the same issue with treadmill runs.  It seemed to calibrate on my first treadmill run, and then I never got the option to calibrate again for my second treadmill run.  Also, the data uploaded to Strava was non-calibrated (i.e., wrong) data.  This should be so easy to fix, and it appears that the whole Garmin Forerunner product line has been suffering from this bug for at least 8 months.  Very frustrating!