This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Autolap and Manual lap at same time

Hello, is it possible to set up that Auto Laps will work together with Manual Laps at one time ? As far as I tried, if I have autolaps on 1km, and start clicking manual laps, the autolap turns off and continues only manual one..

My expectation would be:

with autolaps on 1km, I will see every 1.0 km split, and manual laps (for example after 750m) too. so in my watch & Garmin connect I would see splits per:

0.75km (manual)

1km (auto)

1.5km (manual)

2km (auto)

2.25km (manual)

etc..

Is this possible to be available ? this is very handy during Race, and longer interval trainings..

thanks for feedback

• From my experience if you have set 1K autolap and press lap button on 750m the first autolap will be 1K after you have pressed the lap button or at 1.75K and the next autolap at 2.75K and if you again press lap button at 3K the next autolap would be at 4K. I hope is clear... Slight smile Autolap continues to work even when you have pressed the lap button but the next autolap would be 1K from the last split no matter if the last split was auto or manually done.

• Actually, taking a manual lap doesn't turn off auto laps, it just resets the starting point for the current auto lap, just as gjoregj said.

The reason is because Garmin devices only support one "set" of laps, unlike Polar (or whoever), which support separate/independent, overlapping auto and manual laps.

So for Garmin, taking a manual lap also ends your current auto lap and starts a new auto lap. For Garmin, all laps are treated equally, whether it was triggered by the auto lap feature, the manual Lap button, or a programmed workout.

There's a couple of solutions for this, none of which are perfect.

1) If you want to see stats for separate auto and manual laps during your activity, you can use my Connect IQ data field Lap+:

- It's a full screen data field with 6 fields
    - It has dozens of metrics (including lap metrics that Garmin doesn't support, like Last Lap Max HR)
    - It has optional Auto Splits that are separate from your Garmin manual laps. If you turn off Garmin auto laps and turn on Lap+ Auto Splits, you can see separate stats for for your Auto Splits and Garmin manual laps.

No data field can write a second set of laps to the activity FIT file, though. So you need a separate solution for viewing activity stats afterwards:

2) If you want to see stats for separate auto and manual laps after your activity, you can use the free site https://runalyze.com, which syncs with Garmin Connect

- It supports chopping up your activity into laps by any arbitrary time or distance you want
    - As above, if you turn off Garmin auto laps during your activity, then you can have your manual laps written to the activity file, and use runalyze for your "auto laps" (every 1 km or whatever you want)

• Hi FlowState, gjoregj, thanks for the replies ! are really helpful. I was thinking that autolap goes off, because I was just on a track doing reps below 1km (which I have as a default autolap). so thanks for the insights.

any way, as you correctly say, Im used to PolarFlow where Manual/Autolaps could live together.. I am refusing to use another webplatform other than official one..

other question I have is - if I want to have lets say tempo traning in amount of 7.5km and want to see:

1) autolap every 1km

2) see the 7.5km tempo as one piece in Garmin Connect

the Lap+ you mention would do the trick ? turning Garmin autolap OFF, and manually clicking on point 0.0 and then 7.5km -> would GC display 7.5km, and on the track, Lap+ would beep on every single km ?

thanks guys

• Yes, you only have to change the Lap+ settings as follows:

- auto split = by distance, 1 (km)

- split alert = on (this gives you a beep/vibe, as well as displaying a full-screen alert — the alert is only visible when you on the Lap+ page tho)

You can also choose metrics for split/last split, such as Split Pace and Split Time,  as well as customizing the 3 fields displayed in the split alert.  

But you won’t see the 1 km splits in GC. For that you need runalyze. If you use strava, strava will always calculate its own 1 km/mile splits, but you can’t customize the distance like you can with runalyze.

However it does sound like your activity will start before the “0” point of the tempo run (otherwise you wouldn’t need to mark a manual lap at the beginning.) Lap+’s auto splits start from the very beginning of the activity and are completely independent from Garmin laps. (Can’t have it both ways). So I’m not sure if this will work for you.

• Yea youre right - would do for example 2k, and then would like to do 7.5k and then 2k. but i can live with the fact i will have last 0.5k "without" a split (so I expect to have 2k,7.5k,2k in GC, and beeps every 1.0k during the activity).

I have strava account, so possibly will use this as there are 1ks and laps distinctive..

still i dont understand why this cannot be added to GC & Garmin watch, and why I have to look for 3rd party widgets/apps for basic analysis..

• I think they just wanted to keep things simple. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have noticed that it's mostly ppl who come from other devices like Polar who dislike the Garmin way. 

TBH, when I started running, I too wanted different "tiers" of laps, so I could have segment my run into warmup, workout, and cooldown using manual laps, yet also have 1 km auto laps.

Now I just have 3 activities for that situation (and I I keep the warmup and cooldown private in Strava, to avoid spamming everyone.)

But yeah, Strava is nice for the 1 km/mile splits. Just be careful that if you rest at any point in the run, Strava will automatically remove all your non-moving data, which some ppl don't like. (You can get around this by pausing your activity at least once.)

Yea youre right - would do for example 2k, and then would like to do 7.5k and then 2k. but i can live with the fact i will have last 0.5k "without" a split (so I expect to have 2k,7.5k,2k in GC, and beeps every 1.0k during the activity).

Yes, this will work. You know, if you all you need are beeps every 1.0 km (without real-time split pace/time/HR/etc. and/or the split alert screen), you can just set a repeating distance alert for 1 km. It would be a lot simpler.

• Went from from garmin 310xt to fr245. As you all may know 310xt has a reset button that you can press. Very beneficial for track intervals. Just bought the fr245 -still learning. Thanks.