This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill calibration and strava

Any idee why after calibrating the distance of a treadmill run on my garmin 245 the calibrated distance shown on GC but the incorrect distance shows up on strava. Any why to automatically send the corrected/calibrated distance to strava

thanks

• The problem is caused exactly as the Garmin function suggests, it “saves” then “calibrates”. You run on treadmill, choose that option and it syncs to Strava once you save it and then you calibrate it which doesn’t update Strava nor does it calibrate your runs with real treadmill distance. 

My treadmill speed (uncallibrated of course) would make Kipchoge jealousJoy

• Same pain over here... isn't Garmin going to fix this?

• Same problem here. Hope Garmin fix it. 

• This is still an issue with my 945. The data goes to Strava and Training Peaks when is saves...the calibrated version stays in Garmin where I don't even care if it is accurate or not. Super frustrating and the garmin folks are not able to help in any way.  Has anybody found a solution with garmin?

• Here's a work around that worked for me.

Today, I did a 4.63 km run on my treadmill, but my Garmin watch said it was 6.83 kms which is obviously a large error. I did the correction on my watch after the workout. I synced this to Garmin Connect and it was accurate on Garmin Connect, but the issue is that Strava doesn't see the calibrated result and posted 6.83 km.

Here's how to correct:

1. In Garmin Connect (on a computer), go to the activity that you want to export and select the settings symbol (gear) and "Export to TCX". Save this file somewhere where you can find it.

2. Open this website:
    www.tcxtools.com/.../

3. Choose the TCX file you just downloaded.

4. In "Methodology", select "Scale only (enter scaling factor below)"

5. In "Distance scaling factor (default 1.0)", enter the factor to correct the distance. In my case it's 4.63/6.83=0.6779

6. Click "Submit"

7. Select "Export TCX"

8. It will give a default name titled "out", but you can change it to whatever name you want. This is the file you need to upload into Strava.

9. In Strava (website), select the + button next to your profile picture to allow you to add an entry from a saved file. Select "File" and then "Choose Files" and select the file that you saved.

10. The corrected distance will be displayed and your heart rate info won't be lost!

• Awesome find! 

Although it's a functioning workaround i don't see myself doing it as it implies using the computer. Too bad strava/Garmin are not working on a fix to this 

• Agreed! What a pain! I used the calibrate on the watch and Strava didnt update, and I found this thread 1+ year old. Wish they would fix it. Strava also doesnt allow to manually update the item.

• So this post is 2 years old now, and my Garmin fenix 6 has the exact same problem. Highly disappointed… come on Garmin, fix this already!!!

• I gave up entirely and bought a Stryde foot pod. Insane how precise it is for indoor running.