This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pulse oximeter accuracy

How accurate is the pulse sleep oximeter? my stats are coming in around the mid 80's!!

• Hi,

Based on some reviews (e.g. DCR) it might not be entirely accurate compared to lab tests, however should be reasonably correct.  

My avg is 93% and low is 84%.  

Are you referring to the average or the low stats of registered oxy? 

Kr,

Ferdinand

• As Fer mentioned, pulse ox readings have to be taken with a grain of salt. But as Garmin refines the firmware for these new devices, perhaps numbers will become more accurate.

My night recordings average low 90's, but I sometimes see short-term drops to low 80's. Am in mid 40s, VO2Max 52, BMI of 21. Daytime saturation levels are 95-100% with a recorded low of 91% which should not be the case for a guy like me at sea level (same as what DCR noted in his review, his values were low too). Garmin's documentation states: 

"If your pulse ox during sleep reading seems low, it may not necessarily indicate low pulse ox saturation.  Your arm position can influence blood flow to your wrist and can adversely affect readings, typically making them lower than they really are.  Where possible maintain a position that is conducive to good circulation and at or around heart level."
    https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=SK2Y9a9aBp5D6n4sXmPBG7 

What could Garmin's product team do to help us make sense of the numbers?

What about the ability to set a beeping/vibrating alarm if SpO2 drops under a certain value? It would wake the user in the middle of the night, but after a few times, we would be able to somewhat identify if at the time of alarm, we were sleeping on the arm that's wearing the watch. It seems like an easy feature to add to current models until they refresh the product line 3 years from now. 

• Try to drink 2* water and sleep minimum 10h , less running and check after few days . and enable to mesure pulseOX 24h to check if this is only at night. 

• Does the 245 support 24x7 pulse ox recording? How to enable this?

• No, on the FR245 Pulse Ox is only available for enhanced sleep tracking. 24x7 is not available.

• The readings also seem very inaccurate to me. Usually you say that when SpO2 drops below 90% in the night, it's not good and can likely point to sleep apnea.

I hope they're able to improve these readings with software updates.

• Who sleeps for 10 hrs?   Haha.

• A total inaccuracy. I’ve got 88% spo2 on my vivoactive 4, but on a medical oximeter was 97%!

• Los datos ofrecidos por las mediciones del sensor de oximetría son muy deficientes. En mi caso tengo un dispositivo médico que ofrece diferencias de al menos 7% con el 245. Pienso que se debería ofrecer la posibilidad de poder recalibrar este dato por software en una próxima actualización de firmware.

• The 245 does not support 24x7 pulse ox recording but the 945 and VivioActive 4 do.

Also, the 245 only records sleep pulse ox during a four hour window "in middle of your stated sleep window".

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=SK2Y9a9aBp5D6n4sXmPBG7