This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Foot Pod Questions

(1) Why are there both "Speed" and "Distance" settings for the Foot Pod? Is there a reason to have one setting on and the other off?

(2) If I have both Speed and Distance set to "Indoor", will the Foot Pod still take over my distance/pace measurements if the GPS disconnects? I run in NYC so I'm often among tall buildings or underneath bridges where the GPS connection drops for short periods.

• For instant pace, foot pod tends to be more stable than GPS - I set "Speed" to 'on' when using pace alerts.  The "Distance" setting is more debatable though.  Some users think that distance from foot pod (stryd especially) is more accurate than GPS.

I believe that Garmin disables Vo2MAX calculation when using a foot pod if "Distance" is set to 'on'.

Yes, I believe that foot pod takes over if GPS is lost. However, it might not happen if the signal is just disrupted by tall buildings.  I live in HK and often see the track goes wonky for a while, but never fully drops.  In this scenario, foot pod would work best if running through a tunnel where GPS is lost completely.

• I believe that Garmin disables Vo2MAX calculation when using a foot pod if "Distance" is set to 'on'.

My Garmin is set to use Stryd for pace and distance always and I receive updated VO2Max calculations.

• That's cool, they must have updated it.

• Follow up question for the group: will the 245 take step count from the footpod ahead of the watch? 

When I used to run / walk with the buggy and my vivoactive the step could was out due to the buggy.

Gavin

• I used to run with a polar watch with foot pod sensor, data coming from it. On all races distances ranges about 100m from the declared by the event (10k and 21k) or measeured by partners with GPS watches.

Last year I ran a 30K race with my FR935 with the Garmin pod, pace and distance set from the sensor. I end up with a 29K race in Garmin. No way to solve it. From then I change the distance setting in favor of GPS.

The problem with GPS pace is that it goes away from reality in closed loops (or corners, turn arounds, etc), or speed changes.

I cannot find a file with a pace comparison GPS vs accelerometer I´ve done some time ago. But jumping from walking to 04:00min/km pace the GPS shows initally 4:30 or slower por the first 20/30 meters, then it reacted showing a correction pace to about 03:10min/km. So there was about 60 meters of bad info on my watch, the accelerometer makes you see that like a perfect step from one pace to another.