This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

245 - Strava Live Segments?

Without doubt one of the best features on my old 735XT is Strava Live Segments. Is this feature included on the 245? I've searched the web and can't find confirmation. Any help appreciated

Top Replies

All Replies

• Check the compare feature on garmin.com. It should be in the features table... Seems to be not the case though.

• I think it's one of the enhanced features of the 645 over the 245. There are comparison tables on dcrainmaker.com to be sure

CW

• I don't see "segment sheet" in Garmin Connect cycling activity. Why it could be? I have this activity public and also privacy permition for segments is set for public. Or 245 doesn't support this? Thx!!!

• No, they are not available. If you want Strava Live Segments you will have to opt for the FR645... or stick with your old 735XT

• Strava Live segments are clear - no support, but also "no garmin segments support" ? Thx! (I know it's bit off topic here). Thank you.

• From my experience with the 935, Strava Live Segments and “Garmin Segments” are handled exactly the same way on the watch — the only difference is where they’re synced from. (On the watch they’re just labeled “segments”)

So my educated guess would be: no.

• It's not so. Strava and Garmin Segments are something independent, working separately. Garmin segments can be created only at G.Connect and are visible for Garmin users only which allow their activities as public and visible for G.Segments. But I don't know why I don't have segments-sheet visible in Conncect . Not sure if this feature is device relevant.

Olny what I know - for Strava LIVE segments visibility online on compatible Garmin watch men needs to be Strava-premium user.

• I know that Strava and Garmin Segments are two different things.

I'm saying that on the watch (the "live segment" functionality), they're treated the same. TL;DR the feature is marketed as "Strava Live Segments", but in reality the "Live Segments" feature (on the watch) works equally well with Strava segments and Garmin segments. Conversely, if your watch doesn't support Strava Live Segments, it also doesn't support "Garmin Live Segments".

For example, if you don't have a Strava premium membership, you can export Strava segments manually (using a computer), copy them to your watch (that supports Live Segments) and they will work fine. (IIRC, this requires setting the segment type to "Garmin Segments" in Garmin Connect). Which tells me the watch doesn't care about the difference between Garmin and Strava segments.

I've tried both Strava Live Segments and "Garmin Live Segments" on my 935, and the user experience on the watch is identical. The only difference is where you are syncing them from -- it's controlled by the setting in Garmin Connect when you set Segments to either Strava Segments or Garmin segments.

As for whether 245 supports "Live Segments", if you search the 245 manual for "segment" you get nothing. If you search the 645 manual for "segment", you get a bunch of topics about racing segments on the watch.

If you own a 245, you can go in the Run app and look in the Training menu: watches that support segments will have a "Segments" menu item -- I bet the 245 won't. I know for sure the 935 does, regardless of whether you use Strava Live Segments or not. (It also has a "Segment Alert" setting.)

EDIT: To clarify, the only other difference between Strava and Garmin segments as far the "Live" part (on the watch goes) is the process of syncing them to the watch:

- For Strava segments, all you have to do to sync them to the device is to star them in Strava
    - For Garmin segments, you have to click "Send to Device" in Garmin Connect; starring the segment is not enough

EDIT: Further proof:
    https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner645/EN-US/GUID-DEA9D7BA-F9C6-4291-A523-825AB1536A09.html

The information in this manual applies to both Garmin Connect segments and Strava segments.

• To answer your question about the missing segments sheet in Garmin Connect, you may want to try this on the website:

- Adding the Segments widget on the dashboard (click +)

- On the widget, make sure you are using Garmin Segments (i.e. you won't see a Strava logo)

- If you are somehow using Strava Segments, then click the gear icon on the Segments widget and click "Use Garmin Segments"

It's only the "Live Segments" feature (on the watch) that is device-restricted. Any watch should support segments in Garmin Connect, after the fact..

• - Adding the Segments widget on the dashboard (click +)

- On the widget, make sure you are using Garmin Segments (i.e. you won't see a Strava logo)

- If you are somehow using Strava Segments, then click the gear icon on the Segments widget and click "Use Garmin Segments"

That helped! I switched to "Garmin segments" and It's OK now!.

Didn't know, that one need to use only Strava or only Garmin.

Thx a lot!