This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate monitoring occassionaly stops working

Hi,

the optical 24hr heart rate monitoring on my new Forerunner 245 occassionaly stops working. It looks like it is „thinking“ that I do not wear it anymore. Even though I am still wearing it the HR widget shows three dashes —- as my pulse. I can turn it back on by moving it away from my wrist, waiting until the green leds switch back on and then I again get a correct HR measurement for some time until it stops again. Occurs every few hours. I did not realize this problem with the initial firmware 2.0 (now I am on 2.6). Already tried a reset but it didn‘t help.

Anyone else had this issue ?

Regards Thomas

• Issue appeared again today after putting the watch on approx. 2h ago. It simply stopped around 1h ago. Then i lifted the watch a bit from my skin until the green leds started. Now it measures pulse again at 75. 

Regards Thomas 

• Bought mine today and I'm having more or less the same issues as yours with the difference being mine doesn't even come back on again. Sending it back to Garmin tomorrow. 

• I faced the same issue in singapore and the dealer wasn’t able to help too.

• I've had to exchange the Garmin 245 music twice now due to HRM issues. The first time it just completely stopped working. I tried to reset the watch to default and that didn't fix it. I returned that watch for another.  The second time it stopped working and I was able to get it going again. The only problem now was it wasn't as accurate as the first time. It would give me false heart rates. I would be sitting and relaxed and the heart rate would shoot off out of no where. I returned that one too. Hopefully the third time is the charm. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 1082029

Same exact issue with some using the VA3.  A sensor hub update was just released for that device to correct the problem and I suspect one will be released for the 245 soon.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/vivoactive-3-3-music/167627/heart-rate-sensor-stops-periodically

• My FR245 is a week old and I have completed two runs both with intermittent heart rate, see attached.

I wear the device above the wrist bone as per manual instructions.

Garmin support advised to restart the device and / or resetting back to default. I have attempted both with no success.

Now I am being told to return the device for evaluation.... Most frustrating!!

Any ideas??

• I just got my FR245 as a gift, and now I’m on firmware 3.10. I don’t think the hardware is problematic but most likely the firmware is, since it’d be a disaster if a production line has DOA units.

I've tried to manually disable wrist HR function, then re-enable it... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. And I’m not new to using HRMs - used Polar for years, changing out since Polar is discontinuing web uploading for my RCX5 come end Dec 2019. But for my FR245 that’s only 3 days old, the erratic behavior of all day HRM that swings on and off is inexplicable.

• To me it looks like it is tied to the new type of OHR (and related software) Garmin uses. I can see same complaints in the Fenix 6 community. I switched back to my old Fenix 5 and it works perfectly with the old OHR.

• It is totally odd that the FR245M doesn’t have a choice to switch to “Always On” instead of “Off” or “Auto”. All that’s needed to knock the unit off into an error is a breakdown in the auto detection scheme.

• Same thing happening to me after 2 weeks of using it. Firmware 4.1