This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HR accuracy issues

Is there anyone else having issues with HR readings?
I noticed that my HR was "stuck" during workouts, and would never get any higher than ~100.

I've tried wearing the watch in maybe 10 different ways, other arm, removed all sweat, tightened the strap, etc.. nothing worked.
All software is up to date.

I had a friend nearby who has a FR 235 and that watch reported HR 142 while mine was displaying 101. I think that's different enough to say that it's not working.
It sometimes work , and sometimes not. Can't make head nor tails of it... ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1480558.jpg
  • I'm hugely disappointed in this HR on this watch, I'm on my 3rd one now and will be taking it back. The HR is wildly inaccurate, totally unacceptable for a watch in this price range and supposedly with the latest sensors from a leading brand.

I've spent the last couple of weeks troubleshooting this, including such helpful suggestions from Garmin such as reset the watch and charge to 100%. They gave up and said to contact the local Garmin office. Whether running or walking the watch invariably locks on to my cadence, and it seems there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Could buy an armband/chest strap but then there is no point in this watch. I also have an old Apple Watch and Garmin chest strap which I have compared against and they are both very accurate. But even without the comparison, something is obviously wrong when I'm running up a steep hill, my legs burning and I'm out of breath and my HR drops (it's now obvious it's because my cadence is getting slower)

I've tried different arm positions, different tightness of the band, different activities etc. without success. 

And I suspect many people out there are blissfully unaware of the problem, because cadence is often in the range of what an HR is anyway so they may just accept it as is.

Functionally everything else is great, perfect watch for me but the HR is a complete show-stopper. 

• Me too! This is ridiculous, when running I've got no issues, my HR peaks. When I go cycling I use my Edge 830 and broadcast the HR, I'm going up hill and very steep out of breath and it never peaks above 110 or so...I hope Garmin looks into this!

• Hi, i have also noticed that the WHR values are not very accurate, even when i'm running. I bought mine the moment it came out, and i must say i'm quite disappointed with Garmin ATM. Have a friend from work that bought the Huawei GT and it's very accurate, and costs half the price.

Huawei give us some feedback plz

• Hi, I was a happy owner of a Forerunner 245 Music until I discovered the HR sensor problem. While doing the Indoor Cycling classes I discovered that even from start of the warmup the hr is over 100, which is practically impossible. I'm standing still on the spinning bike without making any move and the hr is around 115. In the middle of the training shows even above 170 but I can't trust it anymore. Does anybody know if there is some update on the developers table to solve this issue?

• Instead of the HR reading not going over 100.  I find my watch sometimes gives me really high readings like 190 when i'm doing a slow jog.  Both times its happened it was raining though if that's the reason.

• I have the same problem ... when I go cycling while starting an activity, I have no problem, everything works. But now if I go cycling I use my Edge 530 and broadcast the HR from my FR245M, and in this case it does not work well (average HR of 98bpm, while I must be 140/150 ...). GARMIN PLEASE, HELP!

• FOLKS-------------TRY EMAILING GARMIN THROUGH THE HELP PAGE-THEY ARE REALLY HELPFUL. Within 24 hours they have sent me a link to update the software with a beta version; there are also instructions to install the OLD software too-I reckon it was the August update that stuffed it all up to me. I have sent the fella some of my training records before and after the software update. I DON'T think they monitor the community sites. SO I RECOMMEND EMAILING YOUR INQUIRY- don 't phone!

this is the site the fella to

Can you also try this for me https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14937

Best wishes 

Paul 

• Ok so, I've tested this several times now just using the Garmin Cardio function (as requested by Garmin) and I can truly say this is definitely not working right, A good example this morning was a HIIT workout that I could feel my heart beating to the point I could barely breath and the heart Rate maxed out at 147bpm, I had a friend in the same class who had a Fenix 5X and when we compared calories burned at the end of the session were completely different, as far as I'm aware these are supposed to be using the same HR monitor??
    The most hilarious thing about this today is that my heart rate spiked higher while I was having a shower after the workout (I wasnt up to any funny business either :P ) than when I was under extreme pressure during the workout, See below at the end.
    I've done all the checks that Garmin requested so far with no difference, I'll keep emailing them anyway, surely someone somewhere in Garmin knows whats happening.
  • Have you tried this recommendation from Garmin, on how to wear your watch, to see if it makes a difference for you?
    www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-F2E7E0A9-FB44-4297-BF4D-D0C31C400C45.html

• Oh I did of course, thing is, I'm using my old gear sport to compare it to which I previously compared to an accurate chest monitor, the Garmin is all over the place no matter which way you wear it