This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HR accuracy issues

Is there anyone else having issues with HR readings?
I noticed that my HR was "stuck" during workouts, and would never get any higher than ~100.

I've tried wearing the watch in maybe 10 different ways, other arm, removed all sweat, tightened the strap, etc.. nothing worked.
All software is up to date.

I had a friend nearby who has a FR 235 and that watch reported HR 142 while mine was displaying 101. I think that's different enough to say that it's not working.
It sometimes work , and sometimes not. Can't make head nor tails of it... ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1480558.jpg
  • Hi, I've just received my 245 after my VA3 fell off into a canal (don't buy cheap straps). I never had much luck with the VA3 OHR aside from when at rest or on gentle walks. It failed miserably on cycle rides.

The 245 is significantly better - apart from the first 2 or 3 minutes and in very rapid HR climbs it has been excellent while cycling. I've hit 190 on it and its correctly recorded a 70bpm recovery over a minute. I'm pretty pleased - I've also owned another Garmin OHR watch which was as dire as the VA3 for cycling and 2 fitbits also very poor.

The only thing so far that is awful is the PulseOx - at night its woeful, recording in the 70's, and daytime unless the watch is pushed into my wrist, it records 5 points below actual. Maybe a software fix will help this further down the line.

• The 245 OHR seems to work good for me. Not sure if it helps but I do shave my hair under the watch. I also had a VA3 and had no problems there other then when it used to have sensor dropout issues. I don't see any evidence of sensor dropouts on the 245 but when the VA3 had them, the HR would reset to 80 and slowly go back to the correct rate.
  • Its ok but not as accurate as the Garmin HR monitor  strap i use.

• I have the same problem. During a walking activity suddenly the heart rate felt from approx. 90 to 50. With my vivoactive 3 I never hat such issues.

• Having this issue as well on the FR245. Heart rate sometimes works with a bit of lag, sometimes stays in the 110-120 range when I am all out around 170-180 for 4-5 minutes. Frustratiing to check the watch and know the readings are completely off. I chatted with Garmin Support and they pointed to basic documentation: make sure there is no tatoo where the sensor goes, wear it tight enough but not too tight, etc. I do all this, and with the exact same tightness sometimes it tracks OK sometimes not at all. Looks like a software problem more than hardware, at this point.

• Yes, exactly. During runs it mostly works just fine, but for my indoor sports (badminton) it simply stops working after a while.

Garmin Support suggested I get a replacement unit at the shop(where the watch is completely out of stock -and it's likely just a sw issue,so I see no point in returning it)

The HR issue is fairly reproducible, thus, if any Garmin techy is reading: I have a (embedded) software engineering background, if there is any way I can help collecting debug info for you let me know.

• Hello,

I am having problems with my Forerunner 245 Music where my HR readings suddenly drop down maybe 20bpm and plateau for the remainder of my activity.

For example, I ran a 23km great ocean road race on the weekend. At about the 15km mark my HR was sitting at where I'd expect (165bpm) but then as I began to put more effort in over the last 8km, the HR reading spiked down and sat on around 140bpm for the remainder of the race. This is directly opposite to the amount of effort I was putting in (I'd expect it to be in 170s and maybe even 180s for the final push).

Is anyone else noticing these types of in-explainable drops in HR reading? 

The website lists the typical factors which may affect HR reading (wrist bone interaction, too loose/tight, not cleaned etc.) however I don't believe this would explain why the readings seemed accurate at the beginning but as I went on, the readings dropped.

I don't particularly feel like purchasing another $100 worth of chest monitor either...

• Just happened to me again. That's 3 activities in a row this has happened. Start the activity (walking) and HR just sat at 95-100 even though I was climbing hills. Stopped the activity and started a new one and still nothing. Then I tightened the strap to the point it felt like a tourniquet and suddenly my HR jumped up to where it should be. Several minutes later though it dropped back down to that 100 mark. I wiggled it around on my wrist and it jumped back up again and stayed there for the next hour of the hike. I just don't get it. I had a VA3M for awhile but returned it for the same issue. I have a bit of hair on my wrist area but nothing crazy. I even tried wearing it on the inside of my wrist where there isn't hair yet it still was too low.

• I have also had terrible luck with the HR readings. Had the VA3M with no issues. This one also doesn't get much higher than 100. It also tells me my HR is near 100 when it is in the 70s. Hope they fix this.

• I have been pleasantly surprised by how accurate my FR245 WHR appears to have been for the month of running workouts I have recorded. I didnt have high expectations, but it responds quickly to increased effort and is close enough when checked with a manual carotid measurement. It also matches closely with a gym stationary bike.