This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Anyone getting EXTREMELY low total calorie count for workouts?

Former Member
Former Member
So, I did a quick 15 min HIIT workout this evening. I was using a chest strap and my total calorie burn for my workout was 24. I spent 52% of the time in my zone 3 and 31% in my zone 4. My HR graph confirmed this too. No flat line or missing segments. Checked all my settings (age, weight, height, HR zones, Max HR, etc) on my watch and in Garmin Connect. Everything is correct. Anyone else seeing this, or have any clue as to what might be up? I probably burned more than 24 calories typing this post. :D
  • Though not extremly low; I ran 95 minutes last night @ 8.5 km/h with an average heartrate of 136. According to Endomondo and some other online calculators this should be anywhere between 1000 and 1200 Kcal. Garmin connect shows 688. Other runs seem to be on the low end too.
  • What type of workout? running? If so, obviously 24KCal is wrong.
    One of the easiest and most accurate ways to estimate the Kcal burnt when running is "distance(km) x weight(Kg)", and it is very little depending on pace or HR zone. (it is, but very little compared to the total figure)
    In my experience, most devices (Garmin included) give lower figures than they should.
  • Also getting many unreasonably low calorie assessments

Yes, my calorie numbers have been implausibly low for a week or so.
  • So, I did a quick 15 min HIIT workout this evening. I was using a chest strap and my total calorie burn for my workout was 24. I spent 52% of the time in my zone 3 and 31% in my zone 4. My HR graph confirmed this too. No flat line or missing segments. Checked all my settings (age, weight, height, HR zones, Max HR, etc) on my watch and in Garmin Connect. Everything is correct. Anyone else seeing this, or have any clue as to what might be up? I probably burned more than 24 calories typing this post. :D

What was your Training Effect value in GC?

I've had this a few time during indoor cycling. See:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?343005-Indoor-Cycling-Where-has-my-calorie-burn-gone
  • I have been noticing this a lot the last few days.

Last night I did a Body Attack class. Garmin tells me I burnt 414 kcals. Now the Previous Monday Garmin tells me I burnt 562 kcals.

The two classes did the same routine and were the same length in time and I felt I worked harder this week than last week since last week I had a massive blister on my foot from a Cross Country race the Saturday before.

Saturday passed I ran 27 miles in 03:52:30 and Garmin said I burnt 2,027 kcals. Which I felt was rather low for that length of run.

What I have been noticing is that the Active Calories on the app changes every time I go on.
    Like on Friday I walked over 15k steps (to, around and from work) then ran 10 miles. Apparently I only had 957 active kcals for the whole day!

Basic stats. I'm Male, 5'9", 80 kgs, Resting HR of around 40 bpm, Max HR of 188 bpm (calculated using an online tool recommended from this forum) and I only turn the HR monitor on for activities.
  • I have been noticing this a lot the last few days.

Last night I did a Body Attack class. Garmin tells me I burnt 414 kcals. Now the Previous Monday Garmin tells me I burnt 562 kcals.

The two classes did the same routine and were the same length in time and I felt I worked harder this week than last week since last week I had a massive blister on my foot from a Cross Country race the Saturday before.

Saturday passed I ran 27 miles in 03:52:30 and Garmin said I burnt 2,027 kcals. Which I felt was rather low for that length of run.

What I have been noticing is that the Active Calories on the app changes every time I go on.
    Like on Friday I walked over 15k steps (to, around and from work) then ran 10 miles. Apparently I only had 957 active kcals for the whole day!

Basic stats. I'm Male, 5'9", 80 kgs, Resting HR of around 40 bpm, Max HR of 188 bpm (calculated using an online tool recommended from this forum) and I only turn the HR monitor on for activities.

How did the average Heart Rates for the Body Attack classes compare?
  • How did the average Heart Rates for the Body Attack classes compare?

Last night Avg was 103 bpm
    Last week Avg was 107 bpm

Which is surprising.
  • Last night Avg was 103 bpm
    Last week Avg was 107 bpm

Which is surprising.

That could explaining the additional calories assuming the HR recording was accurate in both cases.
    Active calories for the Friday looks odd though?
  • My calories from runs have been spot on the last few weeks now that it has warmed up a bit. My watch suffers from the issue where pulse readings are very low when it's cold out, so it will only add 40-50 calories/mile for even the most intense efforts.

One thing I have noticed is that the calories for the first mile of every run are lower than the rest, even if I am already warmed up and my pulse is high. My first mile is typically 80-90 calories and then it's 105-120 calories a mile after that.

What's strange is that the cadence-lock-bug does not seem to have much impact on calories from a run. When the cadence lock inevitably kicks in and my pulse jumps from zone 3/4 to 5, the calories for the remaining miles remain reasonable.

Calories from "steps" -- that's a whole other story.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Update from my original post:

I MAY have found my issue. Today I did the same HIIT workout as yesterday. The only change was instead of 30 secs on with 30 secs recovery, I did 40 secs on with 20 secs recovery. Again, everything seemed correct with the exception of 34 total calories burned this time. This hasn't been an issue in the past and the only difference was I was using a new app for the previous two workouts. I started wondering if this had anything to do with it, so I waited 45 mins and performed a mirror imagine workout as the second one only using the "Other" activity this time. This workout had very similar stats as the previous one, but this time I burned 167 total calories which I believe to be more precise. I've emailed the developer with my concerns and feel no need to mention the app I was using. After all, I may be incorrect and it may have been a coincidence.