This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wrong date and time?

Hello!

My 230 froze while I was scrolling through notifications and I had to hold the on/off button for 10 seconds to restart it. Once I restarted it, the date was incorrect as was the time. I even reset my watch completely and redownloaded the Garmin app on my phone but I can't get the date to change to the correct day or time. I've tried syncing it multiple times and turning the blue tooth on and off.

How do I fix this?
  • Hello!

My 230 froze while I was scrolling through notifications and I had to hold the on/off button for 10 seconds to restart it. Once I restarted it, the date was incorrect as was the time. I even reset my watch completely and redownloaded the Garmin app on my phone but I can't get the date to change to the correct day or time. I've tried syncing it multiple times and turning the blue tooth on and off.

How do I fix this?

Try using something with GPS. If you're set for auto update of the clock, it uses GPS to do that.
  • Try using something with GPS. If you're set for auto update of the clock, it uses GPS to do that.

I tried using find my car app, but it seems the GPS is not working. The GPS worked prior to the freezing problem yesterday and now I can't get it to work.
  • Can you try using the run activity outdoor and see if you get the GPS connection?
  • 230 freeze

I tried using find my car app, but it seems the GPS is not working. The GPS worked prior to the freezing problem yesterday and now I can't get it to work.

hi mary...i buy last 2 weeks forerunner230 but yestreday we have the same problem...it freeze then when i reset its give the wrong time&date... today i tried to walk around to show the gps but not working im very disppointe😭😭😭today i will join the werunrome2015(10k) i dont know what to do my nick is ckthebaddest1( garmin connect)
  • This happened to me as well, right after updating to 3.30 :(

I was able to get it corrected by starting a run activity outside, but when I synch, it appears it's still very confused on the day/time for steps & sleep.
  • I have had the same issue for two days now. Connected to GPS last night and it fixed the date and time but this morning on my way to work, the date and time reset again, as did all my activity data. Does anyone know what's causing it to reset. Seems to be entirely random. Presumably it's a bug but it's incredibly annoying!
  • Had this problem with mine as well... many times... sometimes after i could get a gps fix straight the way but others i couldnt get a gps fix at all for over a day, a phone call to garmin customer support and after checking im on latest firmware and done a master reset the watch is being returned, mine is a 235 though, if you have a look in that forum you can see a thread about 235 resetting, all activity data goes when it does it
  • Hello everyone,

Good morning from Cyprus. I have been using the Forerunner 230 since August 2017. Everything was working just fine. This morning I switched my 230 on and the time was wrong ( 9 hours behind ). I have tried to connect it via bluetooth with my Samsung smart phone and synch it but it did not work. Then I turned on the GPS+GLONASS and the correct time came back immediately. So I guess if you get the time wrong on your 230 the synch tool you need is the GPS.
  • I work in IT, so I'm used to fixing these sorts of issues, but this one was tricky.  My wife and kids nuked two garmin's in the last wee getting the wrong time, so I had to spend about 3 hours unraveling the fix to the problem described here.  This worked for me (fixed a 735xt and a 235).   I think the issue is caused by a failed update.

1.  Install Garmin Express on your local PC/Laptop.  Connect your watch to the PC by cable, join it to the Express app and clear the history as follows "tools & content -> Utilities -> [Clear History]"

2.  Disconnect the watch from the PC

3.  Reset your watch "Menu -> Settings -> System -> Restore Defaults -> Yes"

4. Allow it to restart, Set up your watch basic settings, connect cable and garmin express again

5. Download the software bundle from https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=10451  We need to DOWNGRADE the software, get the watch to upgrade to the latest, then get the watch to connect to GPS and then the problem will be fixed.

6. Connect your Forerunner 235 to your computer using the USB cable.  Download and unzip Forerunner235Beta.zip. Download and unzip Forerunner235Beta.zip. Place and OLD VERSON of GUPDATE.GCD, in my case "GUPDATE-780.GCD" file in the \GARMIN folder of your device's internal storage drive.  Rename this file to GUPDATE.GCD in situ.

7. Disconnect your device from the computer, and Confirm "Install Now" for the update (to the old version!) on the watch, and wait for the update to finish.

8.  Sync your watch with either your Garmin Connect on mobile device, or with Garmin Express with cable on your PC.

9.  Once done, power your watch off by holding the on/off button down for a few seconds.  Start your watch again.

10.  It should have picked up the NEW update.  Confirm "Install Now" for the update

11.  Once this is done, start a run or bike ride and it will pop up saying "waiting for GPS".  Hopefully it will find it in a couple of seconds (mine did) and it may do a few other transfers.  After this, the time will be right and everything hunky dory.

Good luck, hope this helps

Jim

• Thanks Jim.

It worked for me.

Well explained and effective sequence of actions.

Only extra comment, be patient as sometemes restart takes a few minutes.

Thanks