Lack of data field layout options

I have a 255 music and just bought a 165 music (I don't really use most of the extra bits the 255 does and wanted an AMOLED screen). The 165 can show a max of 4 data fields on one page and I assumed it would have the same up to 4 data field options as the 255. Sadly not - the 255 has 8 and the 165 has only 5 and the one I use (the T shaped one) is not one of them. To most, this possibly wouldn't be a big deal but if I've used this layout for all runs and then it's gone, the watch isn't really any use to be honest. For this reason, I've returned it. 

I called Garmin to query this before I returned it and was just told the 2 watches have different software on them. I have sent feedback on it to Garmin and don't know how easy/difficult this would be to fix it with a software update. I had a brief look on the Connect store and couldn't see a way of downloading a new data layout in the format I want.

Has anyone experienced this or maybe it's just me ?

• I called Garmin to query this before I returned it and was just told the 2 watches have different software on them. I have sent feedback on it to Garmin and don't know how easy/difficult this would be to fix it with a software update

It would probably be pretty easy for them to change it with a software update but they won't do it because the limitation is intentional. They want you to buy a more expensive watch if you want certain features. Support won't say this out loud, but that's the reason.

I had a brief look on the Connect store and couldn't see a way of downloading a new data layout in the format I want.

There's some CIQ data field apps which are meant to be used in a 1-field full screen layout - the app itself provides multiple data fields of its own.

Ofc the downsides are:

- the data fields come from the app, so your the equivalent of your favorite built-in data field may not be available. (there's a lot of built-in metrics which are unavailable to apps, like grade. if you see grade in an app, the app itself is calculating the value, and it may not be equivalent to built-in grade.)

- the app provides the layout(s), so you might not get the exact same layout that you were hoping for

- these apps may not even be available for FR165 (yet)

Here's an example with 7 fields, which you've probably already seen. This app's layout is nothing like the built-in 7 field layouts seen in some Garmin watches though:

[https://apps.garmin.com/apps/6dec42e9-7fee-402b-95a4-a111e83d45e3]

• Thanks for the reply. I understand they will limit the lower down watches to make you buy dearer ones e.g. only allow 4 data fields on the 165 but the 255/265 can display at least 6. In this case, the 255 has 3 options for 3 fields but the 165 only has 2 and the one I want is missing. I’ve posted a picture of the one that I want.