small gap in the left crankset

Hi everyone,

I received the tacx neo bike smart 2 weeks and been having the following issue. On every pedal stroke, there is a feeling on the left side as if there was a little gap coming from the crankarm and it was very slightly moving. It is happening on every rotation and that's the only thing I can think about (drives me crazy). It happens less if I am being really careful with my pedaling technique and making really nice circles...

I made a video that shows that the left crankarm is moving slightly from approx 135 to 235 degrees (check for the sound when moving the arm left/right)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahs6UdVC8zZBn3fwG9qYm_yf5s4x

I did check the screw already and it is tight.

Anyone experienced this issue?

I bought the bike from Tredz, and waiting for TNT to pick up the parcel for warranty/exchange/refund but wanted to check in here in the meantime if there is an easy fix...

Thank you!

Benjamin

• I don't see the 8mm hex crank arm bolt when I look after removing the plastic cap. The BB spindle is hollow, I can see all the way through to the other side. Did Tacx/Garmin change the design when they went to the multi-hole pedal position crank arms?

• Previous descriptions by mentioned an 8mm hex bolt that is exposed once the plastic cap is removed. They describe tightening this 8mm hex head bolt after loosing the 5mm pinch bolt. I know that the crank arm design has changed to the multi-hole design for the pedals from an earlier design. I assume the contributors are referring to the earlier crankarm design and the later designs eliminated the 8mm bolt and simply use a splined spindle and press fit the crank then tighten with the pinch bolt.

• Hi Timcla, by any chance have you got the visuals they are referring too

• Look back to 3 month ago at this thread , Agile has photos . My issue was a loose left crank arm. Loosen pinch bolt and tighten the 8mm centre cap, then re-torque pinch bolt….that’s it for that issue. I’m now on my 4th Neo Smart bike in a year with another known knocking noise problem  !!!!! 

• When I remove the plastic end cap (a Torx head) on the crank I don't see an 8mm bolt. I can see through the spindle.

• The plastic end cap is the bolt…..there never was anything other bolt 

• This message from Garmin/Tacx was shared on a FB group this morning:

Leads me to believe that the pinch bolt torque has been too low from the factory.  This is basically what I did on my own and have not had an issue with the crank loosening since.

• @timcla Sorry but I'm still confused. Then what is the 8mm bolt previously mentioned in other replies to the topic? The plastic end cap isn't sufficient to apply pressure to hold the crank in place or force it down the spindle. Any amount of torque applied to the plastic cap will strip it. Here are the 'instructions' I've copied from other responses, note the plastic bolt and the crank bolt are mentioned separately and one is a Torx and the other is a hex (I added the emphasis for clarity). Also step 1 and 4 don't make any sense; 1,"loosen the bolt", step 4, "check that the bolt has not retracted since it was first installed" if they are the same bolt;

• 1 Loosen the plastic bolt (torx)

2 Loosen the crank arm allen bolt (hex)

3 Make sure crank arm is in place

4. Tighten the crank bolt to 2-2.5N*m (see crank-bolt.jpg for visual). This bolt uses an 8mm hex wrench, and the torque may not move the bolt. This is okay, as this step is to check that the bolt has not retracted since it was first installed.

5. Tighten the pinch bolt to 22N*m (see pinch-bolt.jpg for visual). This bolt uses an 5mm hex wrench

Do you see why I'm confused?

• Can you include a photo of the 8mm hex bolt where it is on the crank? What was in the S00-01520-04 kit? Was it just the new 5mm hex pinch bolt?