small gap in the left crankset

Hi everyone,

I received the tacx neo bike smart 2 weeks and been having the following issue. On every pedal stroke, there is a feeling on the left side as if there was a little gap coming from the crankarm and it was very slightly moving. It is happening on every rotation and that's the only thing I can think about (drives me crazy). It happens less if I am being really careful with my pedaling technique and making really nice circles...

I made a video that shows that the left crankarm is moving slightly from approx 135 to 235 degrees (check for the sound when moving the arm left/right)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahs6UdVC8zZBn3fwG9qYm_yf5s4x

I did check the screw already and it is tight.

Anyone experienced this issue?

I bought the bike from Tredz, and waiting for TNT to pick up the parcel for warranty/exchange/refund but wanted to check in here in the meantime if there is an easy fix...

Thank you!

Benjamin

• Tredz received a refurbished unit from Garmin. I obviously wasn’t happy at all, so Tredz decided to send me a new unit instead.. which happens to be even worse than the previous unit!

i can’t slide the front panel/handlebar (the front top tube is slightly bent, and that’s enough to block the sliding), which means I can’t fit the bike properly. And on top of it, I still have tthat lose crank issue, and the bike also makes some light but weird noises that I wasn’t having with the first unit (like something is knocking instead and also the sound of a belt rubbing something as well).

i immediately contacted both Garmin and Tredz. Once again Garmin was extremely useless, telling me that they don’t have any unit in stock until mid December. Completely unacceptable. So I told the retailer Tredz that they need to organise a pickup and refund the bike. I am done with this bike which clearly lacks quality control and Garmin support is completely unacceptable. Will never buy anything from them again

• Same here. I took apart the whole crankset and figured out that the bottom bracket was loose and that the left arm plastic screw was not tightened enough as there was a small gap between the arm and the bottom bracket.  I tightened everything back on both sides and reassembled everything and the problem was solved. Hope this helps. 

• Thanks for your input tdufour… It seems there may be different problems relating to the left crank. Your solution might work if there were side play in the crank. Glad you found a fix for that. Some of us have a rotational play at the top of the stroke (12 o’clock) on the left side… it doesn’t show up anywhere else on the stroke. I tried disassembling and resembling the crank set carefully tightening everything. It didn’t fix my problem. It seems it’s internal to the unit. Still waiting for Garmin’s fix. 

• I got my Neo bike from Tredz 3 weeks past and have the same issue with the left side crank arm (hence finding this thread).  I've checked my saddle height, cleats, crank arm fixings and even my pedal stroke form but still the problem continues.  Anyone have any joy resolving the problem without resorting to replacing the bike, which I would prefer.  It seems fair to suggest that this is a common fault with the bike, which Garmin need to act on. 

• Actually it felt like rotational play but it was related to loose crank cups and left arm not tight enough. In your case it can be something else I agree. I hope Garmin will find a solution for you! 

• Problem now sorted... fingers crossed!  Looks like it was the plastic bolt fixing being loose.  I removed it with ease before loosening the crank arm allen key bolt. I've had this issue on a bike in the past and learned to ensure the crank arms are snug in place before tightening up the the centre arm plastic plug/bolt and then tightening up the crank arm Allen key bolt.  Tested in both modes (power on/off, app connection on/off).  Hope this helps others. 

• Same issue on my 1month old bike (warranty replacement no 2!). I have already sent one back because the crank became so loose after 4-5hrs use despite tightening the star and pinch bolt up regularly. I think there might be an issue with the spline tolerances that worsens over time? I can’t fault the warranty service as there was a no quibble replacement but boxing /unboxing 55kg of metal is a bit tiresome.

• 22nm? Are you sure? Is it somewhere written?

• Hi 

Was the problem solved? Got the same problem too  

Do I understand this correctly

1 Loosen the plastic bolt (torx)

2 Loosen the crank arm allen bolt (hex)

3 Make sure crank arm is in place

4 Tighten the plastic bolt

5 Tighten the crank arm bolt

Jan

Trondheim/Norway

• Hi Jan

This was my reply from Garmin Support as I had the same problem from new. 

so after step 1, 2, 3…

4. Tighten the crank bolt to 2-2.5N*m (see crank-bolt.jpg for visual). This bolt uses an 8mm hex wrench, and the torque may not move the bolt. This is okay, as this step is to check that the bolt has not retracted since it was first installed.
    5. Tighten the pinch bolt to 22N*m (see pinch-bolt.jpg for visual). This bolt uses an 5mm hex wrench.

22N*m is very tight so didn’t achieve this as it felt like the bolt would strip,  but it fixed my loose crank arm. 

good luck