Problems with ERG mode on the Tacx NEO Bike

Hi, I was wondering if others have had problems with the Tacx NEO bike in ERG mode?  I first noticed the problem using Trainer Road.  I'd increase the cadence and the watts would go up rather than staying the same.  If I entered into a recovery phase the watts would be about 20 to 30% higher than prescribed in the program.  I've had Kickr products and the concordance was always great.  The trainer followed the program watts within less than 1%.  If I increased my cadence, wattage would stay the same.  I'm 65 years old so I don't have the FTP of someone 20 and maybe this is just an old guy problem, but I don't think so.  I'm using the latest version of Tacx firmware (really they need to come up with a different numbering scheme--- 0.0.39 doesn't inspire a lot of confidence....but then the product does feel very beta), and the latest version of Trainer Road on an iPhone 11 with the latest version of the software.  I've also tried it with the Tacx software and Zwift with a similar problem.  I know the problem has been described before, first in a September 2019 review by DC Rainmaker and then on the Trainer Road forums.  I guess I thought Tacx/Garmin would have had a solution before now.  Thanks 

• 0.0.40 is the current version and fixes the issue

• Agree with Mikey_748. Current firmware is 0.0.40. When I upgraded the problem went away. Good luck with it!

• Hi guys, how do you get the 0.0.40 firmware? How we can install it in the trainer, since from the Tacx Utillity Apps, when i try to update the trainier, this inform to me that the device is up to date with the current version 0.0.37.

Thanks before hand for your support

• Yes, it’s Feb 2021, and I’m having this problem too.

• Same problem. I updated to .40 via the tacx utility app. No difference. It’s impossible to enjoy an ERG workout on Zwift with the NEO bike. I called customer service today and they just told me how great the Tacx training app is. I’ve been using Zwift for years with my Cyclops(now Saris) Hammer with zero issues. I really liked the idea of a dedicated stationary smart trainer, thus the NEO switch. I’m going to give it another day or so of troubleshooting but I’m massively disappointed in the NEO’s performance.

if this isn’t solved I’ll have to return the useless (to me) machine.

The telephone representative also told me that there were no other known cases of this issue. 

• Hello! The software update should have resolved the issue. I wonder if the 0.0.40 software successfully installed?  Would you be able to summarize the ERG issues that you are seeing? Any pictures or activity links would help us better understand what kind of problems you are still having. Thanks!

• I have exactly same problem.. while doing workouts on ZWIFT, power is very unstable despite i'm not shifting and i'm at steady cadence. Its very very dificult  and frustrating make a tainning correctly!

NEO BIKE, bought 3 weeks ago, latest update done!

• I'm having similar issues... my power in ERG mod always falls just shy of the target, by about 5-7 watts for the interval session. Every now and then the displayed, current power output touches the target, but then falls right back down again. The current power is very elastic (always below, and never above) relative to the target. I'm also running the .40 version of the firmware. But that doesn't seem to help with stability.

• I, too, have had this issue. Although I'd say less of a problem, more of an issue.

I do ALL of my indoor training on this bike using TrainerRoad. I've about 200 activities since getting the bike in Dec 2019. With my Ramp test I register a certain FTP which is based on the numbers I hit during the ramp test (in erg mode and the numbers are just below targets). Then the workout intervals are always 3-5 Watts below the target (which is generally less than 2% for Sweet Spot and FTP zones, slightly less for VO2 max zones). I am happy with that as the Bike is CONSISTENT from Ramp Test to workouts, the workouts are still quite challenging, and I am progressing through my plans accordingly while increasing my speed and fitness over time.

So, while certainly an issue, it would be nice to be dead on the number each time, I don't see it as a problem.

What I do like about the Tacx bike is it does not overshoot resistance, and there is no "death spiral" of difficult resistance if I slow my cadence or pause an interval.

• Yes, I was referring to TrainerRoad workouts as well. Although it irritates me that at the end of a workout, IF is consistently one or two points lower than the pre-workout estimate. To compensate for this, I have been nudging the percentage for the workout up one or two percent in order to create a power consistency that "would have been 100%." TR support believes that this is an issue with Tacx software, although we are still investigating that. I sincerely hope that the next firmware version addresses this.