Smart trainer worth it?

Hi,

I realize I am asking this in a Neo 2T forum but here goes. I have the Concept2 BikeErg, which is a stationary bike with a flywheel. It is similar to the famous Indoor Rower and SkiErg that they make. The bike transits power, speed and cadence so it can connect to Zwift and TrainerRoad. The difference between it and a “smart trainer” is that apps can’t control its resistance and there is no incline or climb simulation. 

My question is, would it be worth upgrading to a smart trainer like the Flux series or the Neo 2T? Is there much difference?

Thanks for reading!

• Yes it is totally worth it, at least in my perspective it is less mental load having resistance change for you and you can just push through, not worrying about following a requested value. I also there is less chance to bail on a hard interval. Looking up the BikeErg it seems much closer to a fluid trainer in that just calculates power based on a speed curve, and it is your job to match what Zwift or TR tell you.

Zwift for example is far more immersive when it gets harder going up a hill instead of requiring you to pay attention to the requested wattage and try and match it yourself. I am also a big TrainerRoad user, and having all the intervals change for me makes a big difference, you are forced to push through them and at the same time you can put your brain on autopilot and watch TV as you don't have to try and power match the values.

I think the other big difference would be ERG mode where it can old a wattage no matter your speed or difference, it is a very different feeling doing slow cadence at high resistance values. On fluid trainers you can do this with some success changing gears on the bike, on your fan based BikeErg I am not sure how that would work (does changing the damper also effect the power level reported?), but either way it is every different as you get tired the smart trainer doesn't give up.

just my 2 cents, I know a lot of people that do Zwift and TR on fluid trainers and they love them, but to me the difference is night and day.

• Thanks a lot for your response. I’ve been mulling getting the Neo 2T but am weary after hearing what TacxFaqs has to say on YouTube and the horror stories around bad units.

• Yeah, I think a lot of that is probably a bit overblown, I just got my 2T in November, and I have had no bearing issues with it, I also have a couple friends that have had theirs longer with no issues either. Plus if the bearing is as bad as he makes it out to be, it would die rather quickly and in warranty, at least that was my thinking when I bought it.

Really my only issue with the unit is that my bike is large and has long chain-stays (gravel/cross bike), so the cadence sensor doesn't work properly without a little metal crank extension that Garmin sent me. I think this is just my bike combo as my friends don't have this issue.

• I also have a BikeErg and due to the uptick in people in the house wanting to use it I'm thinking about a second BikeErg or bike trainer. I've not made a decision but here are some thoughts I've come up with the BikeErg versus an indoor trainer that might be helpful and maybe someone has something I've not thought of:

+ BikeErg is incredibly low maintenance and easy to adjust for different users; also not abusing your road gear with sweat and wear/tear;

+ BikeErg in season transition makes going on the road easy, just use your bike (no unmounting/mounting) since I can't afford n+1 rule for bikes due to multiple users and frame sizes;

+ BikeErg supports riders of greater weight than trainers and is about as rock solid as you can get;

+ Concept2 has top notch support and maintenance has been a breeze (been using rowers for over 20+ years and still on the original model with updated parts as needed);

+/- BikeErg considered by some to be too noisy, I blast a radio so never noticed and wasn't trying to cover it up;

- BikeErg doesn't dynamically adjust with the Zwift program automatically, this doesn't bother me as much but I can see how this would detract;

- BikeErg doesn't completely feel like a real bike in ride or use;

- BikeErg has limited bike update points (can only modify the pedals and bar);

I'm sure there are lots of other points but sometimes I find it helpful to hear what other people think and value. I'll add that I ride a touring bike and am not racing, just fitness riding and when outside enjoying being out there. So far for me I've been happy with it given it's limitations and shortcomings with respect to training programs and virtual workouts. I was also considering a NEO or Saris.

• There are great points from both of you and exactly what I was hoping would come out during the question . 

• Also, hey, are you the same icj2 as the developer of ErgIQ?

• Yes, I developed the ErgIQ application. I'll add that I cycle for fitness so the virtual mapped to reality isn't as important for me. Our LBS has a sample trainer (Saris) connected to Zwift to test. This isn't great for a longer test but should highlight immediately to you the differences between the BikeErg and a more integrated environment. Maybe a LBS near you has a similar option for trying it out.