Pedalling Dynamics

Hi,

this trainer is advertised as having pedalling dynamics.

I have paired the trainer with my Edge 1000 as a power and cadence sensor (not a trainer) and although I get power and pedal balance readings, I am not seeing any PP or PCO data?

Any ideas?

I'm running v.36 firmware ...

• The "pedaling dynamics" is not the same here as with the Vector 3. 

First of all the balance is not a true balance (it's an estimated "pseudo" balance and usually completely different than the true and valid balance what You get from a dual pedal or dual crank), and there is no PCO or PP data (just think about that how could a "rear wheel" gives You accurate data about the direction of the force on the pedals for PCO??? Or precise info about the exact starting and ending force phasis...)  , there is only the pedaling analysis "peanut" shaped diagram with the TDA (Tacx Desktop Application) only, not with a Garmin head unit. (Like here, totally pointless feature... https://youtu.be/Oe7s2Rh3Tsk )

So if You want to get true cycling dynamics data, buy a dual Vector3 (or Vector2), everything else is just a cheap marketing gimmick.

• The Garmin website clearly states:

"The NEO 2 was already equipped with a capacitive left and right detection sensor that accurately measures the exact position of both your legs. By adding standard ANT+ Cycling dynamics, you can now analyse your pedal stroke via the software of third parties; for example on a Garmin Edge bike computer."

It also states:

"When a Tacx Neo 2T trainer is paired as an "Indoor Trainer" the Edge will only be able to display power data.  In order to display additional pedal stroke analysis data such as Power Phase and Left/Right Balance the Tacx trainer must be paired to the Edge through the Sensors menu as a "Power Meter" and "Spd/Cad" sensor"

So where is the phase info?

• "The Garmin website clearly states:" Hahaha...

#1: "The NEO 2 was already equipped with a capacitive left and right detection sensor"    There is only 1 proximity sensor on the left side (left to the Neo2 sticker on the plastic ) , the Neo2 is knowing only that one point that where is your left leg in a given time, thats all, it is using it for "accurate" cadence measuring if it can detect your left crank, there are many complaints where it is not working (Neo1 it was estimating it also from the rhythm of your pedaling), and from this not-so-accurate data trying to calculate the power phase , balance and others with the pulsating of your pedalin ... so it is totally not precise info ...  as i wrote, only the dual pedal or crank based powermeters can provide such an (accurate) info for head unit as pedal phase  , torque effectiveness or pedal smotthness, the Neo2T is just estimating it from the rhythm of your pedaling and with that left side proximity sensor but it is far from accurate.

#2: " By adding standard ANT+ Cycling dynamics, you can now analyse your pedal stroke via the software of third parties; for example on a Garmin Edge bike computer."  yes, there is "Cycling Dynamics for 3rd party app" in the NEWER Garmin units, like 520plus, 1030 and newer, the Edge 1000 DOESNT KNOW it (only the cycling dynamics with Vectors but that is a different standard as i wrote before), so to capture these (mostly fake) data You need newer Edge . 

• So to summarise: Tacx are making false claims, and mis-advertising this product ...

• A  test to measure the difference of the pedalstroke for left and right with 24 sensorpoints on the rotor revealed almost 50% / 50% times.  When calculating the effect of a difference in power for left and right of say 5%, the outcome was alomst in line with 50% 505% time. Why? Well, assuming a virtual the flywheel of 75 kg ( flywheel varies up to 125 kg),  calculations showed that the virtual flywheel greatly flattened out the difference in angular speed of the crancks: the variance in speed during a rotation was below 1%.

That also means that, with just one sensor, the NEO 2 wiil be able to give fairly good values for torques at different positions when the measurements are assumed to be evenly dustributed over a complete rotation of the cranks. A  (normal) number of 40 measurements during one rotation ( so  every 9 degrees)  also helps for a reliable left / right analysis of the applied torques on the rotor.

The free program Golden Cheetah is able to show left / right pedalanalysis for balance, smoothness and effectiveness. which makes the absence of a  "peanut" graph less bad.The program has a whole lot of analysis. Also, workouts can be made in ergo and slope mode.