Power comparison with Vector 3 Pedals

Hi,

I got my 2T today and did my first ride using TrainerRoad. I used the 2T as the power source in Erg mode connected to TrainerRoad, with my Vector 3 pedals connected to my Edge 1030. There was a significant defference between the power readings of the two devices of between 15 and 20 watts; the Neo reading approx 245 and the Vectors closer to 260. A chart is attached showing hte two rides overlaid on one another.

Is there a problem, or is this normal? I don't know how the different readings are taken, but assume that they should be broadly similar across the range - the variation seems to great to be accounted for by devices at opposite ends of their tolderance ranges to me. Grateful for your thoughts?

https://analyze.dcrainm..aker.com/#/public/1095b96c-676d-43d7-6f98-40b0d3533806

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

• Actually we only want to help you, but you are a bit unreasonable you stiffen too much that the neo is to blame Try to question your complete setup:

-how you pair all your different equipment? it makes a big different
    -could it be, that you use the wrong Software, try others

i think it takes time to find the best setup (every difference have to be test for a longer period), it cost me arround 1 year, now my setup is really perfect.

my final setup looks like:

- Neo 2 paired with BLT to Android tablet and Trainerroad Android App
    - HRM dual paired with BLT to Android tablet and Trainerroad Android App
    - Vector 3 paired to Edge 830 with ANT+ (and with no other enviroment, removed from GCM cause it tries pairing via BLT)
    - HRM Dual paired to Edge 830 with ANT+
    - Neo 2 speed/cadence paired to Edge with ANT+
    - using 34/18 only
    - rides recorded with Trainer Road and Edge 830 together
    - rides from Edge will sent to Training Peaks
    - rides from Trainer Road will be sent to Strava

all other setups didn't work perfect, sometimes with small probs or bigger ones!

i tried Tacx TDA, Rouvy, Zwift, Sufferfest, but for me Trainer Road ist the best, anyway i had bigger probs with Trainer Road at the beginning, thats the strange thing, for example:

my first setup was with TR Windows Software, connected everything with ANT+ over Tacx ANT+ Antenna, but often i had time outs during rides, not on all but on some.

You can contact Trainerroad Support during Business Time dircetly by chat and they can help you to find ways for your setup

Support on other platforms isn't as good as on Trainerroad for my point of view!

• Hello f|33tStA, it was a while ago when I tooled around with the equipment trying to work out the root cause of the discrepancy. From memory, I recorded the Neo 2 data on the Edge 530 and the Stages PM data (left only) on the Forerunner 945 watch, while doing a custom ERG workout that went up in 50W / 30s steps on Zwift. I then imported the data into MS Excel, corrected the time offset and graphed both datasets.

• Thanks but all you are saying was done with: 

Garmin support

Trainerroad support.

Trainerroad confirms that the offset applied when using powermatch is between 1 and 30W. 

This is a precision problem... Not a setup.

Blame? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DqiBksaVSY --> Precision problems with Vector 3

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/11/tacx-neo-2t-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html --> Precision problems

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/anyone-have-the-neo-2t/24291/193

+maybe you are too stiff too!! 

• i have exactly the same issue, my vector 3 pedals show approx 6/7% more power than my Neo 2 trainer.

• then be happy, thats the best value you can reach!

• Hi everyone,

I'mseeing something very similar.  I’ve been using TR for a number of years using a set up of Stages Power meter + Elite Turbo Muin which has worked really well for me. I recently decided it was time to upgrade to a true smart trainer and so got myself a Neo 2T. I came off my first session on the Neo 2T absolutely wrecked and put it down to poor recovery etc on my part but the same thing happened after my second session too so I started doing a bit of research. First thing I did was check my kit : no cross chaining, chain on smaller front cog and larger rear cog, good Ant+ connection (using Tacx Ant+ antena) etc. The I did a workout with TR connected to the Neo 2T and my Garmin Fenix watch connected to the Stages power meter (having done a zero reset). Having completed the workout I then collated the 2 sets of data in .tcx format and plotted them on a graph in Excel looking at the first 3 step ups in power as part of the warm up you can see that the Neo 2T is consistently under reporting the power compared with the Stages by 5-10% (I’ve tried to paste a screen shot below).

I thought this might be a one - off and so I did a second test last night and here's the complete workout.

I completely accept that there will be a variance between measurements and was assuming/expecting 2-3% but 5-10% seems over the top. Looking through this post and others it seems I’m not alone in seeing this - has anyone figured out what causes it - given that there are just as many who don’t have the issue?

Thanks and happy training!

• The Turbo Muin is one of the worst trainer in POV of accuracy , so if your Stages matched with it that is a big problem :D (all Muin is overreport the power with 15-30% minimum, it is a known fact, and banned from everywhere in virtual world) 

try to do single leg drills with your left leg (in SIM and in ERG mode too ) with Z1-lowZ2 powers for 1min (rest a bit with 2 legs and again) and do a comparison . (i suppose it is a left leg only Stages , You didnt mention it is dual or right only) a left leg only power meter wont match (or within 2-3%, just in very rare case) with a rear hub based power meter, it could be less, it could be more , depending on left leg balance ... If You can get a real dual / total power meter for crank (spider based, or a dual crank or dual pedal) that will give You reliable information about the real difference between the 2 powermeters, anything else is pointless comparison.

• Hi @Luko79,

Thanks for the input and I completely agree about the Turbo Muin being poor for accuracy and apologies, I didn't explain my old set up very well.  I used the TM as a 'dumb' trainer because I only connected my Stages power meter to Trainerroad and manually had to adjust my cadence/gearing to 'match' the power of the TR workout.  The reason for moving to something like the Neo 2T was to avoid the hassle etc of having to change gear/cadence in order to achieve the required power.

All I'm saying is that comparing the power reading from a dedicated power meter (ie the Stages device) to that which the Neo 2T is supposedly delivering there is a significant difference.  I've got a friend coming over this afternoon with his bike that's also got a Stages power meter on and we're going to run some tests with his.

• You will get non-reliable result with the another Stages too, that is not a reference powermeter (unfortunately), Infocrank, newer Power2Max NG, newer Quarq, newer SRM maybe, Assioma Duo what i recommend and for a validation need 2 reference pms because always need 2 reference datas (best in same time, so a spider and pedal based powermeter on same bike and record the  3 powermeters together) agains the Neo (in this case)

But You can try...

• Hi,

While my neo2t is under warranty, to see how long it takes, they have left me a Kickr Core this weekend and the compared wattage with my Quarq AXS has been around 1% in several races carried out.

The deviation between the Neo2T and my Quarq AXS was always 4% -5% lower, unacceptable, we have been 7 months without news about it and it seems that there is no solution since we have not seen firmware updates.

Greetings