NEO 2 Firmware Update 0.0.38 Available

Improved performance during hard sprints to prevent the trainer locking up

• Thanks for the heads up. It seems odd that there is no announcement from Garmin. Anyway, installed yesterday and tested today (without big sprints) and it seems like business as usual. Mind you, I've never had a lock up during sprints or any other time, but I top out at 1100W so maybe I'm too weak to trigger the problem. 

• this weekend i made 2 indoor rides with 10sec sprints nearly 1000 Watt and my feelings means, they are better to ride now in ERG mode without shifting from small to big ring

• And today my Neo 2 died with overheating and lost resistance with the fans no longer turning. I will give it time to cool down and see if it comes back to life, but I fear its a terminal failure. 

This is my third Neo (second warranty replacement) and already it was faulty with bad power calibration. Now it is a paperweight. Unless it recovers. No sprints today either, just steady 200-250W.

• OMG, good luck, hope he will come back, a warranty replacement tooks very long time or (my Neo to Neo2 replacement was arround 6 weeks, but before Garmin bought Tacx)?

• Warranty claim accepted and I've already dropped it off with prepaid UPS shipping, courtesy of Garmin. Now the wait begins. 

My girlfriend says I'm welcome to use her spin bike in the interim. :-) 

• Where do you live (which country)? i think here in austria it is not so easy!
    How easy did you do the Warranty Exchange, via Garmin Support (official way)?
  • I'm in the UK (England). I made contact and all arrangements through online chat on their UK support website. It took 20 minutes from start to finish. The trainer has already arrived back at Tacx in the UK, this morning, less than 24 hours after reporting the fault.

There is a three day Covid quarantine on received goods, but they expect to make replacement within 5-10 days. Replacement will be a refurbished model, but since the power numbers were well down on reality (7% low vs Assioma Duo pedals) I hope the replacement will be much better all round. 

• Wow, four days from initial contact to a new (refurbished) replacement Neo 2. I just hope it works, with accurate power etc.. Time to test.

• Since updating to this firmware, the connection to my forerunner 945 and edge 520 seems to be prone to repeatedly dropping out. Looking at activity data on Garmin connect afterwards, the power and cadence data look incredibly 'choppy' despite being constantly pedalling.

Funnily enough BT connection to the trainer road app on my phone looks normal!

• I only ever use ANT+ or ANT+ FE-C for Zwift on the PC. I took a look at my ride today on Zwift (PC) while recording with my 6X. Sure enough there are a few dropouts in power and cadence to the watch, but not the PC. This might be explained, at least a little due to placement of my watch on top of a 2.4GHz wireless keyboard on my stem, whereas I use the Tacx ANT+ antenna fastened to the downtube of the bike for best signal to the PC. Maybe if I'd powered the keyboard off there would have been fewer or no dropouts.

The first 25 minutes were warming up and there is a separate Zwift file to cover the warmup. From 25 minutes onwards the watch and PC should be recording the same data. The dropouts are only from the Neo to the watch. Neo to PC is perfect.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), there is no such dropout in heart rate from my HRM-Pro, so it looks like it is the Neo connection to the watch dropping out rather than the watch. But the Neo is working perfectly with the PC, so the Neo is broadcasting OK.

Mind you, the path from strap to watch is direct, short and unimpeded by metal or anything else, whereas the Neo signal has to potentially make it past the top tube, stem and keyboard in order to reach the watch.

On this basis I assume it's just an interference problem that is affecting the connection, due to metal in the way or radio interference from the keyboard. and not a fault in any device.