tacx Neo 2 accuracy

Hi all,

so I know about the "Neo effect", and how it gives a lower power reading compared to pedal or crank based power meter systems, due to drivetrain losses, but how much does your Neo differ from other power meters? I have been back and forth to Garmin about this discrepancy, ever since I purchased my unit. In essence, it differs by over 10%, and that cannot be explained by the drivetrain alone. 

thanks in advance

• yeah, it is my own experience too, i could try / use 3 Neo1s and all were the same and always within (below) 1-1.5% to my pmeters. (sorry for my narrow brain, i couldnt remember for everybody's setup :) ) I would like to try a 2T once, one of my friend has it just he is 1000km far from me now :D  Yeah, in rare situtaions the 0.0.36fw can solve a few linearity issue in Neo2 but with minimal chance ... If it is in warranty, i would change it , if not, then only the "powermatch" is the only solution. Disappointed

• I bought my first Neo 1 in 2015. The second was a warranty replacement in 2017. The Neo 2 was another warranty replacement in 2019.

I raised the topic of the low Neo 2 power reading with Tacx way back then and got a ticket opened,  sending in test files etc.. they did not deny the issue and I think they would have helped if I'd pursued it.  Unfortunately I did not pursue it as I wanted to double check (static calibration) the pedals before proceeding and I dragged my feet. 

Then,  with Garmin taking over,  I figured I'd be wasting my time to pick it up again now that five years have passed since the original purchase. 

The sad thing is that it's ruined my racing on Zwift to have a 7% power penalty and it's messed up my Garmin training to use Assioma Power outputs when Garmin instructs the Neo 2 to set a specific power and the pedals are reading higher. 

No doubt it's also messing up my VO2max and other calculations,  especially FTP. There's no way I want to power match my pedals down by 7% simply because my Neo is in error. 

Maybe I should revisit that ticket and see what happens. :-)

• Yes, if You wanna control your Neo2 with your F6 then there is no powermatch feature (only with XERT CIQ app but for that You need a subscription to the XERT). In Zwift it is working during workouts (Assiomas as power source and Neo2 as controllable, and during workouts the Zwift will use your Assioma's power to control your Neo2's resistance, only high level racing when the trainer's power mandatory as primary by rules it is a handycap but do not race in these series and problem is "solved". 

yes, give them a try and at spring the replacement is easier if You can go outside everyday and dont need your Neo2 for 2-3weeks.