Importing a GPX to create a GPS Workout, half the ascent disappeared?

This is more a question about the Cloud / Deaktop Apps but there is no section for those so here will have to do. I want to import a GPX so I can create a GPS Workout. The import works fine in both the Cloud & Windows Desktop versions but even if I tell the import to do "low" smoothing it always loses more than half the elevation in the source GPX, ie a 120km course with about 1200m of ascent (in multiple Planning Software versions including Garmin Connect) becomes a GPS Workout with less than 600m of ascent and looking at the profile some smaller climbs (say 60m) have just disappeared. I need a way of creating the workout with NO SMOOTHING of grades/ascents.

As I said I have tried both the Cloud & Desktop app versions but both do the same. Half the ascent is pointless, how can I make it give me the actual ascent in the imported file?

Thanks

• I also struggled with this problem. Took all day to figure out, very frustrating. I think I found a work around using higher resolution GPX files.
    At first, I was using Strava to create a route for an upcoming race (like the Tacx app recommends). The exported GPX file had about 1200 points. When importing to TacX, the "Low" smoothing completely destroyed a significant amount of the elevation gain (like you experienced), and the elevation profile looked like a bunch of plateaus, like stair steps, loosing all fidelity to the original.

I found a real GPS recorded activity from someone else on strava who had done the race in a prior year. That GPX file had over 7000 points. Uploaded with low smoothing just fine. This seemed to be able to combat the smoothing and result in an accurate map. 

There really should be a "no smoothing" option, especially if the app is going to recommend using Strava routes to create gpx files.