9 Speed casette

Hi,

We just bought the Tacx Flux 2 and will use it with a 9 speed bike.

We tried to install the casette, but it make too much noise when we try to use it.

Has anyone installed the Tacx Flux 2 with a 9 speed casette?

We used 1 spacer but maybe we need 2?

We only received 1 spacer with the Tacx Flux 2, and no spacer with the casette.

Does anyone know what we're doing wrong?

• I am running a flux with a 10 speed cassette shimano 105 and had quite a few problems getting the spacers setup correctly or as close as I could I am currently running with a silver spacer whole with no indents at 1mm plus a spacer with indents at 1.85mm for a combined indent of 2.85mm and it’s only out by a bit keeping in mind the trim will not be the same as your road bike on the rear derailleur side of things

the indents make no difference to the overall spacing it’s just you might see ones on auction sites with indents so don’t be put off

so you might need a few spacers possibly with a combined spacing of 3.85-4.00mm maybe your local bike shop might let you buy/borrow some on sale or return or indeed set it up for you. You will know when you sort of get it near when the spacers are seated and the cassette rings are all lined up correctly and mounted and the lock ring is tightened then you  will not be able to wiggle the cassette rings

• Hi,

Yesterday we tried with the spacer from Taxc and a spacer we got in the bike store.

We almost couldn't fit the casette on the body, so it seems that we can't put another spacer on it.

But we still got the noise (faltering chain).

So we tried with no spacer, 1 spacer (tacx), 1 spacer (store, bigger than the one from Tacx) and 2 spacers (tacx + store).

• I put my flux on it’s side on a chair to make sure everything sits nicely on the freehub I bought my flux 3 years ago and didn’t do anything so everything is fresh in my mind and a bit of trial and error. I did have a few times when it wouldn’t tighten up the lock ring or it would wiggle so I would take the rings off and start again 

1mm spacer, 1.85mm spacer, cassette part 1, cassette spacer, cassette ring etc, I am not sure if the 9 speed is one unit or many parts 

in my collection there is a plastic spacer not sure if it’s Tacx or one I had but that is 2mm using a digital micrometer, 1mm, 0.5mm I bought the 1.85mm on eBay so I could juggle options around

how many spacers do you need on your bike for the 9 speed cassette normally

• I'm using a 9 speed cassette (shimano claris) and it works fine. It had a little wobble when they first installed it but after taking everything appart and re-installing it, no problem whatsoever, 

• The important things are

1) what is the combined thickness of the spacers

2) do you still have the wobble which suggests possibly an additional spacer is required

3) do you have a shimano freehub attached to the trainer or is it the hybrid one that takes all sort of manufacturers cassettes 

• I seem to be having the same problem. Did you manage to solve it?

I also have a Flux S with a 9 speed cassette. Tried it with no spacers but then the cassette is loose and wobbles. Tried it also with the shipped spacer, 1.85mm I guess, and the cassette is tight but it makes a strange rattling and clcking sound. I also feel the clicking sound in the pedals and crank. It appears to be less for the inner gears (larger chain rings) and is louder for the outer gears (smaller chain rings). 

It also feals that changing gears for the outer gears (smaller chain rings) is noisy and a bit difficult.

Furthermore, trying the cycle the pedals is also much heavier than on the road. 

Anyone got any idea as what to try next?

• Hello, did you resolve the problem? I have exactly the same problem with my neo 2t.

• Yes, I was able to solve the problem. As a newbi I did not know that the position of the cassette because of the spacer might be a little offset. That is the reason for the grinding and ticking sound you get. All I had to do was to reindex the rear derailleur. In doing so you position or align the rear derailleur properly again with the cassette. 

So you should use the spacer with the 9 speed cassette. The cassette is properly fixed then.

All you should do then is to reindex the rear derailleur. Take a look in YouTube for help, dozens of movies explaining how to do that. As a newbie I was also able to do so.

Good luck!