Power value is not costant

After last firmware update I see that with costant cadence the power value is not costant anymore but the value goes up or down untill to 10/15 watt during training...

• I guess I am having the same issue.

Showing two example graphs (I have multiple before and after samples of that same training at roundabout same cadens and gears):

Before and after the Tacx software update:

My setup:

• Tacx Flux 2 Smart t2980 of which the readings go directly to my 945.
    • Next to virtual rides on Swift/RGT and Tacx (not settled yet), doing also self programmed power trainings using the Tacx software.
      • FTP related resistance/power intervalls (like endurance training).
    • Ant+ connections between the Tacx the Andriod Tacx app with the programmed training and the 945

It could be that there is less software smoothing of the output. Another possibility is that with the Tacx software update the automatic adaption of the resistance has become more "sensitive" to variations in peddling power. I am not sure if I am happy with this as to my feel sometimes I can notice resistance drops on trainer.

Off topic:

hm :/ ... it doesn't seem that there is a lot of attention from Garmin for the newly acquired family member Tacx. I choose Tacx also because of the acquisition by Garmin. Anyway lets hope it will better.

Marc

• I'm experiencing the same situation.  According to DC Rainmaker this latest firmware update had huge improvements on the accuracy. However, the power is not constant after the update.  Please someone from Garmin or Tacx to address this.  Very unsatisfied with it.

• Tacx Flux 2 Hey Tacx experts, please some help or explanation for this issue. 

• Hi Mark and , We would like to investigate this further; could you reach out to us via the link below and include the serial number of your FLUX 2 please? https://support.garmin.com/?productID=690887&tab=topics&topicTag=region_calibrationandpowerm

• done so as requested.

(btw: I was only made aware of the availability of the update when I incidently used Bluetooth (BT) to connect the Flux 2 and the Tacx Utility App, This as per default I use ANT+ (and have purposely BT per default disabled on my phone).

And so it appears that the Tacx Utility App doesn't show the availability of an update when ANT+ is used to connect. What I recall nowhere in the provided documentation is mentioned that you should use BT to connect when checking for (and performing) updates. )

• Hi, any news about this topic? I have the same problem. After the update to the newest firmware version the problem was available. 

• Hi Triarsten,

I wasn't planning to react to this thread before I have finished my "investigation". But as I know how annoying it is when nobody reacts, herewith an in between update.

After studying the requested data, Tacx recalled  my trainer (around the time of the garmin hack). It actually took some time before they actually sent me the shipment data so mid September I got a replacing unit (unsure if it is real a rev 2).

To be honest, the first trainings on the new device seem to show no improvement in resistance stability as you can see in the attached power graph.... again data of the same simple recovery/endurance training.

So...I must admit I am a bit disappointed. But before contacting Tacx again, I have decided to try to rule out that it's depending on the setup that I am using.This as the issue is not preventing me from using the trainer for it's original purpose. So I am trying to bring some changes in the setup to see if that delivers other results. With different setup I mean; choosing different devices to steer the trainer (android vs w10), using different protocols (ANT+ vs BT), vs different programs (FTP based training vs power training.

Next in line for testing the different setup is using a different bike (11 vs 7 speed cassette) on the trainer. (That bike also as a power meter of itself). And I am considering different steering software (I am using the Tacx standard software) like RGT a/o SWIFT for constants resistance tests.

Note1: Perhaps it was already also with the previous trainer, but only recently I noticed that the trainer is not able to produce a resistance below ~110W @ 80RPM (but that is no real training issue).

Note2: It was Tacx/Garmin who took the initiative to recall my trainer on the basis of the data they requested after reading my message here.

Note3: In real life (outdoors) also the power fluctuates when riding seeming at the same effort/cadance. Nevertheless one would expect -apologies for my unawareness of the actual complexity- that holding a fixed resistance would not be that hard when taking the parallel of a physical resistance e.g. on a spinning bike.

Note4: It could very well be that before the firmware update the power output was flattened but in reality the trainer fluctuates as much as now is visible in the graph.

Note5: Leaving out the spikes in the below graph -10% and +6% resistance to a set value is not uncommon.

Note6: It seems that the new trainer has more trouble responding to a new resistance.

So... tbc I guess....

Best regards,
    Marc

• I have the same problem with the Tacx Flux Smart 2, i also have the kickr core and with the same set up, no problems

• Hi Would it be possible to share some power graphs of like the ones shown here? I guess you have the most ideal situation to compare and share using both devices doing the same ERG workout?

• This is the Tacx Flux Smart 2

Same workout with the kickr core