This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivosport update requires a restart - how do you "restart" the Vivosport?

I'm using Garmin Express to update my Garmin Vivosport. Step 1 of 2 is to install the new software. Step 2 of 2 is to "restart your device". It wants me to eject and unplug my device from the computer which I can do. Then power it off and on and wait for the device to restart. I don't see how to do that, and suspect it might not be possible. These are steps and instructions in Garmin Express specifically for the Vivosport! After restarting, I need to plug the device back in to the computer to complete the update. Garmin express is stuck waiting for these steps to be done. I can't go back to the home or do anything with the Garmin Express. I can plug the Vivosport back into the computer, but the Garmin Express doesn't continue to complete the upgrade. If I try to quit Garmin Express I get an alarming warning saying if I quit while updating is in progress, my device may not work properly and/or may lose date. So, I'm completely stuck.
  • What options do you see when you hold the touchscreen and view the menu? Is there is a cog? What setting are under that? Have a look through the menu options. You might find something there.
  • Same question here. I happened to see a notification on the Vivosport today, about some new software, so I started Garmin Express and connected the band to the computer. Apparently the software got installed, but there was this alert about having to restart the band. And how would I do that?

The manual does not say anything about how to restart the band, and the only option I can find while going through the band's menu is to restore the factory settings. Well, that is not exactly the same as a mere restart, I think. :)

So my attempt at updating the Vivosport ended up pretty much the same way as in the OP's case. Guess that next time I see an "update" alert, I should simply ignore it ...
  • I always found the instruction about restarting confusing. Mine just auto restarts after update and then ejecting device from laptop. I don't unplug USB cable but use the eject command for the Garmin device on my MacBook.
  • I don't use Garmin Express with my Vivosport. It updates via Bluetooth (from the Android version of Garmin Connect) when there's an update ready and it's finished the normal 'sync'.
    A short while after uploading the new software it reboots itself and installs the new firmware.
  • Thanks for the replies and tips! I use the Android version of Garmin Connect Mobile, and the Mac version of Garmin Express. Next time I see an update alert, I will first check whether the band gets updated and restarted "via" the mobile app, before trying the Vivosport-Macbook USB connection ...
  • I can help answer this question. Garmin Express will install the update files onto your device. When it tells you to restart the device, all you need to do is unplug from the computer. When you unplug the device from the the computer, the updates will automatically start and you will see the software update logo and loading bars showing the progress. The device will automatically restart during the update procedure and you don't need to reconnect the band to the computer. After the update is complete, you will see a message on the device that the software was updated. You don't need to worry about damaging your device because the update will not run unless all of the data is successfully transferred from the computer. In the event that you unplug too early and do not see the updates occur, I would suggest repeating the procedure with garmin express.

• Nice explanation, thanks.

• Did anyone encounter a 100% discharge in less than 12 hours after installing FW 4.1?  I did!  Device updated, rebooted, charged to 100% and the next day (a bit less than 12 hours) in was off.  ZERO battery.  Before that I was using less than 10% battery a day (minimal device functions, no gps, no bluetooth, low screen & vibration, etc.).  I charged it again today to 100% percent and I will see how long that will last.  Anyone?

• I experienced the same, Garmin have advised using Garmin WebUpdater to reinstall the latest software (4.10) yet when I connect through Garmin Express it updates to 4.20?? I am having trouble where my touchscreen does not work and battery flatten in less than a day!!

• If you go back to WebUpdater, it only says v4.10 is the latest when you reinstall...I am confused..