Bluetooth cuts out when GPS activity starts

Hello. I found a good deal on a Garmin Vivoactive 5 music to replace my old Vivoactive 3.

The display and general functionality are a major upgrade on the 3, so far I’m pleased with it but I have one issue I can’t seem to resolve.

I use my watch 99% for outdoor running only, I just want some music, hit run and track my activity. On my previous watch I always started the music playlist just before I start the run but in the 5 I start the music, they go to run and the second it starts searching for GPS the music stops and I’ve no way of reconnecting it, it just fails to connect to the AirPods. I’ve search and it seems a common problem, various suggestions to remove headphones and pair again (done that) or connect music after I’ve started run but I’d rather not do this nor should I have to.

It seems the GPS interferes with the Bluetooth. Has anyone else had this issue on a Garmin and found a fix? Thanks

• I have nearly the same issue. I have yet to find a fix. I have noticed that the music stops only when starting an activity that uses GPS. If I start an activity that doesn't require GPS, the music keeps playing.

I also noticed that when I see waiting for GPS, the phone and headphone icons will blink to indicate they are looking for a connection. 

Here is how I got around the issue:

1. With headphones disconnected, start an activity.
    2. Wait for the screen to say ready
    3. Hold the bottom button to activate settings and navigate to music. 
    4. Power on my headphones
    5. Tap the name of my headphones to reconnect
    6. Tap the bottom button to go back one menu. 
    7. Tap on music providers and go in and start my music
    8. Tap the bottom button to go all the way back to the activity menu.

This is a ridiculous way to have to do this. My theory was that when the watch is trying to acquire GPS, there is a change in the power provided to the watch's Bluetooth, hence the interruption to both the phone and headphones. I would love to hear from Garm, on what is going and if it will be fixed.

• Thank you for your reply, at least im not the only one. Thanks for your suggestion which is a ridiculous workaround, we can’t be the only users experiencing this issue?

Which headphones are you using?

On my old 5yr old Vivoactive 3 I would play music and walk the 2mins from house to the top of the road as a warm up, I’d then start RUN and be on my way. The workarounds would add another couple of minutes of faffing just to get a run with gps and music working, it shouldn’t be this difficult! For now I have turned off GPS which kinda defeats the whole purpose, really disappointing.

I’ve also read a suggestion to reset the watch, I don’t really want to do that as I spent ages setting it up and I doubt this will magically fix it.

• I'm using JBL Reflect Aeros. Hopefully others will get some relief from the workaround. Would love to know if it worked for you. I know I saw a bunch of similar issues but yours was the most recent and the same model watch as mine.

• I’ve just been for a run, put the music on first, waited about 10 seconds and started the RUN with GPS and guess what? It worked no problem which is even stranger. I don’t know how it can work sometimes and not others?

• I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts! I've tried using both my Trekz headphones and my Samsung buds - same problem. 

Start music, start run - drop Bluetooth connection. If I start the run and then try to connect it either takes forever (walking a few blocks) or just doesn't connect. 

I go for a run to help my sanity but this is the opposite! 

• I had I think 2 software updates recently and the last 4 runs the issue hasn’t happened. I’m not sure if this has been fixed (doubt it) but I am able to play music then start a run with GPS and not have the music cut out.