Vivoactive 4 - battery drain, synchronization problem

From 19.7. 2024 I have problems with battery life and synchronization to the connect application. I attribute it to the new connect app and the watch SW version 8.3. The battery lasts for 25 hours without any activity. The watch is 4.5 years old.

I went through all the similar threads and tried:
1. Reset the watch to default settings
2. Checked for updates via Garmin Express
3. Removed apps and garmin account from phone and added everything again (Galaxy S23)
4. Removed watch from account, reset and added again
5. Updated to beta version 8.4 using the Garmin Express app
6. Let the battery run through several charge/discharge cycles
6. Replaced the battery and repeated all the steps above

I didn't get any improvement, the sync worked until the first discharge of the watch, since then I am no longer able to see the data in the connect app. The watch lasted for 35 hours without activity, a small improvement I attribute to the new battery, but the primary problem apparently persists.

I have currently spent 6 hours on this trying to resolve the issue and I don't know what to do next.

Any ideas other than trashing the watch?

• I have very similar problem and it started at the same time. Heartrate sensor also stopped working and my watch doesn't last even half a day. And can't connect to wifi anymore and sometimes operating system is laggy. I tried also did everything except replaced the battery.

My watch is 3 years old and 0 help at customer support. Seems like only choice is to buy new watch. 

• Yes, write to Garmin support, they know something fishy happened with the 8.30 update, so they'll offer you a replacement. Depending on where you live, this might be free of charge or for a shocking price (140 euros in my case, which is why I declined), especially as the replacement is a refurbished, not new, watch.

• The watch is no longer under warranty, so I wouldn't count on a replacement. However, I can try ....

• neither are a lot of VA4 watches with the same issues (look in the Vivoactive 4 forum for all the threads with battery issues after 8.30 update). Mine is also 4+ years old. But Garmin knows this is its fault, and will help somehow.

• Too bad I don't have receipt

Support:

"We have no such information about this being a software related problem but in product development they have made a change in 2022 regarding issues with battery life on these devices. For this issue we offer an extended warranty of one year.

We can send your device to service in warranty when you provide copy of proof of purchase. Thanks and have a great day!"

"I am sorry to hear about these problems with your device. In this situation I would definitely say that your watch needs to be sent to service."

• well, I guess it didn't take long before they were overwhelmed with replacement requests. Some lucky guys have their watches replaced, and at least one had a 4+ yo watch like myself. I was also proposed a replacement, but for a hefty fee, which I declined. I'm sorry you couldn't solve it via support. Considering how many people complain about sudden battery issues after updating to 8.30, I'd say this is part of an effort to convince owners to upgrade. I also decided to upgrade, but to a Coros, not Garmin. 

• So to summarize as I see it:
    1. Garmin released an 8.3 update that stopped supporting HW revisions older than 2022, which is reflected in a jump in battery life.
    2. Repair is basically not possible.
    3. If you're lucky, they'll offer you a new watch at a discounted price.

Considering the watch's original price of $350 USD, it doesn't seem normal to me and I find it unprofessional.

• I'm so disgusted by this. I'm only getting 2.5 days and only activity on is HR. Nothing else. My old venu got atleast 5 days on exact same setting.

• You are lucky, so don't complain. I was getting the same before the 8.30 update, even though my watch is 4-yo. Now I'm charging it once or even twice a day, like I have an effing Apple Watch. I might as well buy one, after all I'm already used to daily charging...

• My watch is also doing this same thing. I have to charge it every 6 hours...... How can this NOT be a problem with the software when my watch was working fine for 5-6 days of battery life.