Dead Vivoactive 4s - Would replacing the battery help?

My Vivoactive 4s appears to have died completely after a few hours of activity in the sun on a very hot day. :-(  I've tried all the usual fixes: cleaning the contacts, connecting it to charge and doing the 30-second button press, etc., but nothing has worked. Once in a while, when I have it connected to a USB port via the charging cable, it will seem to revive briefly - see attached photos for examples - but it always goes dead again after a few seconds.  

Is this likely to be a battery failure? I've had the watch for about three years. Before this failure, the battery seemed to be in good shape; it held a charge well and all functions seemed to work correctly. If replacing the battery might help, does anyone have a model number, specifications or link for a suitable replacement battery? (I saw a post about a replacement battery for the VA 4, but not for the VA 4s.) Or is it more likely that some other component(s) might be at fault? 

I could pay $140 for a refurbished replacement watch, but I'm wondering if I could just fix it myself instead. I'm sure opening the case would void any remaining warranty, but I'm reasonably handy and have fixed several laptops, phones and other small electronics by opening them up and replacing components, and I'm willing to assume responsibility if I completely wreck my existing watch. If anyone can share any relevant specs, ideas or tips, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

(At other times, it's also displayed a summary of the "accept/delete" screen for my last recorded workout. I just haven't been able to get a photo of that screen before it disappears.)

• If you're willing to take the risk, then I would try the directions documented on iFixit - Garmin Vívoactive 4 Battery Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

• Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, those instructions are for the VA 4 only, which has a modular (push-in) battery connection. The 4s, though, has its battery soldered directly to the motherboard, and I can't find a reliable source for a replacement battery anywhere (so far). :-(

• there's nothing you can do, the battery was killed by the 8.30 software update. It could also kill the replacement battery. Look in these forums, there are dozen of threads just like this opened in the past months. Everyone asks for help, very few complain to Garmin. 

• Thanks for the comment. However, I'm not sure "the battery was killed by the 8.30 software update" (my emphasis there, not yours). Sure, it might have been the update, but couldn't it also have been the excessive heat or some other factor?

As you suggested, though, I did read several threads about issues with the 8.30 update. I'm sorry to hear there seem to have been so many problems. I hope those who have been affected find a workable solution.

I also didn't find your statement "Everyone asks for help, very few complain to Garmin" very helpful. I think it's perfectly normal and understandable that I (and others) might look through a forum like this before contacting the company directly. And if I contacted Garmin first, it would've been to ask questions first; my VA 4s has worked perfectly for at least three years, so why would I call to "complain"?

FWIW, I did eventually contact Garmin, at least three weeks ago, to describe what had happened; they offered a refurbished VA 4s for $140.00 US. I told them I'd think about it. Since then, I was able to find a like-new VA 4s on Facebook Marketplace for $60.00. I received it about a week ago and it's been working flawlessly (with the 8.30 software update). However, due to your warning about the update, I'll certainly keep my eyes open for problems. If I do notice an unexplainable malfunction, I may indeed complain to Garmin - but I'll likely ask about it here first. ;-)