This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivoactive 4 : big problems since this WE. Due to a SW update ?

I experience serious problems since this week-end with my Vivoactive 4 (see symptoms and details below).
I suspect that it could be caused by a recent SW update (typically the Sensor Hub update that was released à few days after after the 6.90 firware update according to what I've just read).
Is there a way to reinstall the previsous version of the Sensor Hub ?
Or, if somebody has an idea looking at the details below ... because, to date, the watch just gives me the (good) time, connects to the phone, receive the notifications and ... that's all.

Details of problems, background...
- Previsous state : no problemn since about 2 years. Standard usage (run, bike), no apps excepted Spotify.
- Nothing special performed before / after (no apps installed, no config change, no shock .. not even a sportive activity, unfortunately...)
- But : I wonder if there has not been a SW update saturday. Not the entire firmware. Something else (GPS? Sensor ? ...). Unsure.
- Since this WE :
-- the battery falls from 100 to 0 in around 4 hours (instead of ar. 7 days)
-- the heart-sensor-light is off, no values are returned when trying to do any activity
-- the GPS-fix (position) cannot be obtained
-- the reactiveness of the screens is, sometime, slow, or even ineffective. But sometime, looks normal.
-- the spotify was not returning all the items syncrhonized
Tried so far :
- Disabled all notifications
- Desabling / Enabling HR sensor
- Disabled GPS+Glonass to GPS only ... then to nothing
- Removed all Spotify syncs
- Full reset (inc removing all data and apps)
- Called the GARMIN Support, who made me downgrade the firmware to the 6.80 version
- Desabling / Enabling HR sensor again

Note : the support guy was not able to downgrade other SW parts, and had no information about these. It looks also not possible to know/check when an update has been performed on the watch. That sounds really unprofesionnal to me. Such things are quite baseline when you handle software, especially embedded ones !

Details of the watch config :
S/N : 5ZJ009354
Firmware : 6.80 (since downgrade, 6.90 before)
GPS : 5.40
ANT/BLE/BT : 8.02
Wifi : 2.60
TSC : 2.05
Sensor : 18.02
WHR : 5.00.05
ConnectIQ : system 5
BMX : 5.0.5
Sec BMX : 0.8.0
API : 3.3.1
Accessorily, I'm located in France.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Update 2Oth June :

- The watch automatically reinstalled the 6.90 firmware.

- Il also upated the GPS SW yesterday .. even if the GPS SW version has not changed (!!)

- Desactivating "HR on wrist" and "Physio TrueUp"

=> The battery problem is solved, and the GPS fiw can be obtained again.

=> But the other problems remains ! The pb with the touchscreen has slighty changed : roughly, only a band (not all of it, vertically) of the right part of the screen does reacts. And not the rest !

I strongly believe, again, that all of that mess is due to a SW problem.

Again, is it possible to get from the Garmin Support a way to downgrade the Sensor SW package, and, possibly, an overalldow downgrade, to let's the SW situation beginning of 2022 ?

• I have exactly the same problems, the touchscreen is by far the most problematic, only the top half of the screen works on my vivoactive 4

• Do you mean that beside the touch screen pb, you also have the same kind of troubles, for exeample with the HR sensor ?

Do you know when it began to bug ?

• I have a problem with the touchscreen and battery drain.

• I do not know if there is any problem with something because the watch is unusable due to the screen. This issue arose after the last update approximately 4-5 days ago

• I reported the problem to the Polish Garmin hotline, I got a reply to send them the watch for repair

• for battery drain : try disabling (if you can with the screen pb) "HR on wrist" and "Physio TrueUp" from the Settings menu ...

• Same here, nothing worked. Completely black on Friday June 17th (2022). I already bought another one, since there is no way to connect. 

• Update 30th June :

This WE, after having added the sports shortcuts (that you can access through the upper-right button) ... I have the shortcuts ...but ..

Suddenly, the TOUCHESCREEN DOES NOT REACTS ANYMORE AT ALL !

I really means Suddenly : the screen works (well, only a zone, as mentioned before), you add the shortcuts and ... game over, no more screen, in the instant !

Again, all of that makes me more and more convinced that these are SW problems, and Garmin does not provides any tool / help ! A SHAME !

• last Thursday I sent the watch to the Garmin headquarters in Warsaw, today I got a new one. Bravo Garmin Poland!