This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fitness Age from VO2 Max missing?

I recently found out about this metric that is available in the app. I checked to see and there was a single reading only for 9 of August this year. I checked the other periods of time available, nothing else. I thought maybe it was some kind of intense activity on that day and it was able to calculate it. No activity at all that day. I don't do much training or activities, how exactly and when is this Fitness Age number calculated?

• to get your VO2Max and age you would need to record either outside run or walk activity with GPS which would be at least 15 minutes long, I regularly see data updated there back and forth.

• Hi. So the requirements are that it has to be with GPS and at least 15 minutes long? And then, in the app i will have to go to that screen and then the score will be generated (upon request)? Or it should happen automatically when i sync the activity?

• Hi. So the requirements are that it has to be with GPS and at least 15 minutes long? And then, in the app i will have to go to that screen and then the score will be generated (upon request)? Or it should happen automatically when i sync the activity?

just 15 minutes walk or run with GPS should be enough. In fact, a few times I stopped run activity,there were VO2Max briefly appearing on my screen with updated score.

And yes you can view it after the sync on in you Garmin Connect or on the watch by long pressing bottom button and checking "User".

• Any ways to fix this problem? I have contacted support, i have reset the device, i have tried many many activities, VO2 Max does not update or even register. I have now found a data face of VO2 Max that i will try with a walk or run activity to see what results i get. I don't have much hope that the default function from Garmin will ever work.... disappointing.

• I'm not sure like for others but for me VO2 Max estimation from Garmin seems to be waaaay to optimistic anyway, so if you want to track your progress using VO2Max I can recommend to give a try to Runalyze and see what estimation it will provide for you. For me it seems to be more closer to reality and also provides a nice graph of your performance over the time.

• The VO2 estimates from Garmin are known to be pretty accurate from what I have heard. For me, it seems to match my running results quite well.

• Hello all!  I just want to make sure that we have the applicable FAQs available to you all in this thread.  Please see below:

What Does Fitness Age Mean in Garmin Connect?

What Is VO2 Max Estimate and How Does It Work?

My Recorded Activity Did Not Update My VO2 Max Estimate

If you have further questions after reviewing each of these FAQs, I encourage you to reach out to your local Garmin Support Team.  To do this, type "support.garmin.com" in your address bar and use the Garmin Support Center to research your issue.  Once you get far enough in the search, you will see some contact options, which may include Call, Chat, and Email.

• The VO2 estimates from Garmin are known to be pretty accurate from what I have heard. For me, it seems to match my running results quite well.

Thanks that's interesting as my watch seems to be very optimistic about my form and gives me 47 right now, even that I started to do workouts on a regular basis in the beginning of this year, and I started running somewhere in April with the help of Garmin Coach.

Can you tell if you compared your results to lab test or just race predictor tables like in here: https://hetgeheimvanhardlopen.nl/en/what-is-wrong-with-the-garmin-race-predictor/ ?

• I haven't done any lab tests. I am 50 years old, and ran a 5K under 20 minutes this summer. 10K was around 46 minutes. I am generally more talented for short distances than long ones. At the time, Garmin indicated a VO2Max of 53. Sounds about right to me. I also see that the value goes down when I let my running shape go down.

• Good form! That's impressive, I'm still working to get 5k under 20, so far it's ~25(I'm doing street running and not sure about the real distance so have to rely on to GPS). And yes my VO2Max fluctuates too, in fact it was showing higher value during summer month when I objectively was in a worse form and way slower.

Have you tried to compare your value with Runalyze or other service maybe I wonder if they agree for you?