This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

10 step stair ascended-descended X10 times and no "floors" recorded at all in "Floor Climb" activity?

What is that?

• that's limitation of how Garmin calculates how much floors you've ascended or descended. They are using barometer for that, just today I walk 10 floors up and get only 6 instead. Also I remember a few times when I climbed few floors then was standing still and probably barometer registered altitude change and told me that I did my floor target for the day.

Previous devices from Garmin calulated this even worse, now they improved but it's still far from perfect. What can influence your barometer is e.g. water, so if you wash in shower with your watch water can get trapped in two small holes near the band and sit there preventing the watch to get correct readings.

• A "floor" is about 3m, with no stops.  stairs in a house are often less than 3m

• on the other days it calculated for me 10 floors at the same building just fine, so I believe that it's heavily depend on barometric readings.

• It uses the baro altimeter to calculate floors.  That's why devices without a baro, don't count floors (the venu sq and fr245 for example)  There's also a stopping/speed element to this.

There's a foot bridge near my house that has both stairs and a ramp, with both starting/ending at the same place, so the exact same change in elevation.  If I take the stairs, I get floors, but with the ramp (it take more time to make the same elevation change), I don't.

• Right. Yes, actually now that i measured it (it is indoors) it is about 2m. I wonder if i keep moving my hands and raising my legs llike climbing the equivalent of one more meter height of stairs, 1 floor would be registered. I will check and update.

• It uses the baro altimeter to calculate floors.  That's why devices without a baro, don't count floors (the venu sq and fr245 for example)  There's also a stopping/speed element to this.

Maybe higher end devices use slightly better algorithm, but on my Vivoactive I can easily reach floor goal by walking on the street without a single stair around. So I bet they mostly look for elevation gain and possibly velocity or something else, I stop caring about stairs since Vivosmart which keep on adding me 100 floors per day for doing nothing.

Yes, actually now that i measured it (it is indoors) it is about 2m. I wonder if i keep moving my hands and raising my legs llike climbing the equivalent of one more meter height of stairs, 1 floor would be registered. I will check and update.

I seriously doubt that, but let us know if this would work for you.

• A better trick is to start the climb with the hands on the floor, and end the stairs with your hands raised up. That should give you the extra elevation. And while climbing, move your watch arm vigorously.

• And while climbing, move your watch arm vigorously.

haha, I wanna see that in action Slight smile