This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I am not getting move iq on my watch

Don't know how to get move iq on my watch. Really don't want to go to the hassle of always setting activity when I switch between activities

• I'm afraid you fall into false marketing which overestimate possibilities of MoveIQ. For me it's only good at starting activity when I'm walking or running. If you check for the image below, you'll see that actually it only has settings for two aforementioned, so I'm not sure if Garmin is actually able to identify any other activities at all. So as long as you have these two enabled, the watch would start tracking your walking or running after given amount of minutes. I wonder what kind of activities you wanted your watch to identify?

• Sensovision, your "false marketing" wording is too polite IMHO.

If some vendor describes in his technical specification and user guides functionalities which are missing, this is called fraud. And that's exactly what Garmin are doing. I had already VivoSmart3, and it only accurately recognized walking. Now I have VivoSport, and it recognizes Walking and Biking. But both were never capable of recognizing Running activities - neither on Move IQ (which "will automatically identify the event and display it in your timeline"), nor on Auto Activity Start (which will auto-start the activity mode, as you have configured it, on the watch display).

A movement pattern "recognition" is a relatively simple software development process. This was simply not, or wrongly implemented in their firmware. I already had a support case, but they stubbornly ignored this simple logic and tried to convince me that: a) either I'm a moron; or b) everything works as expected. So much about Garmin support.

PS: interesting to hear that your Running mode is auto-starting. What device / model does this apply to?

• PS: interesting to hear that your Running mode is auto-starting. What device / model does this apply to?

autostarting only worked for me on Vivoactive 4 and for my wife on Venu 2, it worked correctly for Running, Walking. Other than that, I can see walks to be registered using MoveIQ on my Fenix 6, but it doesn't have autostart feature.

• For more information on the Move IQ feature on your watch, please see the FAQ below.  Always a good idea to check your owner's manual for compatibility as well.

What is Garmin Move IQ?

• Dear Garmin-Kevin,

I've done my homework even before you kindly asked me, thank you!

E.g. for my previous device, Vivosmart 3, in your link for owner's manual, I see exactly this sentence: "The Move IQ feature can automatically start a timed activity for walking and running using time thresholds you set in the Garmin Connect"

Ref URL: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/vivosmart3/EN-US/GUID-19399E88-6C66-434F-8587-0B75C70E34C7.html

I can provide similar info from the owner's manual for VivoSport, as well as multiple other official Garmin online sources, like the one stating: "Move IQ is a feature found on some Garmin watches. Garmin Connect can identify periods of movement that match familiar exercising patterns such as biking, running, swimming, walking, or using an elliptical machine, and tag them as Events"

Ref URL: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=zgFpy8MShkArqAxCug5wC6

My question is - where do we go from here? To a lawsuit, or to a friendly and constructive improvement discussion?

• My VA4S can detect running, walking and cycling correctly, and place them as events on my daily timeline. I have disabled autostart of activities, so nothing is properly logged, unless I specifically start activities myself. I wouldn't want it any other way.