This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why is my GPS always so different from other colleagues and always has a smaller distance than the others in hike?

When I hike and monitor with my Vivoactive 4, even with the "Hike Tracker", the distance traveled on my smartwath is around 10 to 20% less than those of colleagues who accompany me. Apparently it is only marking the planimetry but, I believe, that for hiking the measurement should be in 3D, since the path is often made on very steep terrain.

• If you haven't, change from Smart Recording to Every Second Recording in the settings and see if that helps.

support.garmin.com/.../

Also select GLONAS instead of just GPS. This is per activity type so you change it within the activity menu.

• I think I was not very clear, I am not quoting the measurement accuracy, but the planned measurement method. I will exemplify. Suppose I have the incredible ability to walk on walls. When walking through the wall, going up and down, from a building 100 meters high, I would have walked 200 meters. If I were measuring the walk with my Vivoactive 4, it would have calculated a distance of 0 m, like the vision of a fictional observer in space (satellite) who does not notice my movement. Even though the software noticed that there was an altitude change in the various measurements.

• Garmin's Fenix watches have settings to enable 3D distance and/or 3D speed. (They reserve those features only for the most super-expensive of Garmins... Plus Fenix watches are marketed as "outdoor recreation / adventure watches")

support.garmin.com/.../

• Stupid software for an expensive watch. Ah, if I knew before buying.