This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I start a "free" run?

Hi. I just got my vivoactive 4s. I've set up a coaching plan for a half marathon with Garmin Coach.

This scheduled a training run for me today but it was a really short benchmark run, just 0.75 miles. I went for a 5k run and set my watch recording the run but the training run then finished and so my watch stopped recording.

I can't work out how to set my watch to record a "free" run in addition those set by the coaching plan.

Can anyone help me? Thanks. 

• I think this is not possible. You would have to start a new running activity if you want to continue after the training.

• Hi. I just got my vivoactive 4s. I've set up a coaching plan for a half marathon with Garmin Coach.

This scheduled a training run for me today but it was a really short benchmark run, just 0.75 miles. I went for a 5k run and set my watch recording the run but the training run then finished and so my watch stopped recording.

I can't work out how to set my watch to record a "free" run in addition those set by the coaching plan.

Can anyone help me? Thanks. 

Hey there! You would have to complete the benchmark run then stop the activity and start a new one. 

• Well, I contacted Garmin support and got an answer to this, posted here, with some editing by myself to make it easier to follow...

1. Press top right button to enter activity screen.

2. Select Run (touch screen or press top right button). This tells you todays workout. You can either touch the bottom part of the screen to view the workout steps, or press bottom right button (or just wait a few moments).

3. You will be asked "Do workout now?"

4. Press bottom right button. This will take you into the normal run screen.

5. Wait for GPS to connect, then start the run.

If you want to record a longer run from the Scheduled workout,  you would be better off, recording the scheduled workout first, followed by the separate activity after.

As you are following the Coach Plan, it will ask whether the run was easy medium or hard. If you select the easy option, this would automatically make the next run tougher.

• Wait, does it not work to just tap the top button when it automatically ends, to continue on a new lap?

That's what I usually do and it keeps the timer going. Or do you mean something else? I record past the end of ALL of my Garmin Coach runs, but I don't know if that's different from a "Benchmark run" but I do this nearly every single coach run, including the one I had yesterday, because I wanted to do an hour and it stopped at 40 minutes. I just waited for it to get to the end screen and pushed the top button.