This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

(Known Issue) Vivoactive 4 GPS accuracy

I did a live track today walking 5 miles. When sharing my link the location was 12 miles from where I was. Still trying to figure this out but GPS is way off. 

• Fix !!!

For me tested with long GPS fixing

Affecting Garmin, Polar & Suunto Watches (Sony GPS)

https://mightygadget.co.uk/garmin-gps-accuracy-issue-caused-by-expired-cpe-january-2021/

[Update 3rd of January 2021] Fix rolled out for Garmin
    It now looks like Garmin have pushed the CPE file update to their users, if you have phone syncing on, this should update automatically. You can also manually update via Garmin Connect
    If you check System > About and CPE and it shows expired, the update has not occurred. If you can't get the update for whatever reason, you can still leave the watch for 5 minutes or so tracking an activity to try and let it update it self.
    The update will have been provided by Sony, so other brands affected by this problem will likely be updating currently, or soon.

[Update] Official Garmin response
    Please be aware that we are aware of the serious GPS issue that 2021 has brought upon the Fenix 6 series watches and we are investigating reports. The issue seems to be impacting not only Garmin but some of our competitors too.
    On your watch, if you go to System > About and CPE shows Expired, please give 5 full minutes outdoors with no movement to see if your CPE file will update for you to CURRENT.
    Even if this doesn't fix the CPE you should allow the watch to GPS soak to receive a full satellite fix. This means to wait for an additional 2-5 minutes after the device reads GPS ready.

• Fix !!!

For me tested with long GPS fixing

Affecting Garmin, Polar & Suunto Watches (Sony GPS)

https://mightygadget.co.uk/garmin-gps-accuracy-issue-caused-by-expired-cpe-january-2021/

[Update 3rd of January 2021] Fix rolled out for Garmin
    It now looks like Garmin have pushed the CPE file update to their users, if you have phone syncing on, this should update automatically. You can also manually update via Garmin Connect
    If you check System > About and CPE and it shows expired, the update has not occurred. If you can't get the update for whatever reason, you can still leave the watch for 5 minutes or so tracking an activity to try and let it update it self.
    The update will have been provided by Sony, so other brands affected by this problem will likely be updating currently, or soon.

[Update] Official Garmin response
    Please be aware that we are aware of the serious GPS issue that 2021 has brought upon the Fenix 6 series watches and we are investigating reports. The issue seems to be impacting not only Garmin but some of our competitors too.
    On your watch, if you go to System > About and CPE shows Expired, please give 5 full minutes outdoors with no movement to see if your CPE file will update for you to CURRENT.
    Even if this doesn't fix the CPE you should allow the watch to GPS soak to receive a full satellite fix. This means to wait for an additional 2-5 minutes after the device reads GPS ready.

• I had te same problem. Looks like the track of someone else.

• I was having the same problem, my run recorded as being 10 miles away! 

I did a hard reset on Viv 4 and that fixed the problem... but it  really is a hassle reconfiguring the watch. 

• Last 3 days, the same problem as the rest of you with my VA4 (& on other Garmin devices, as there's a very long thread on this about Fenix watches). You can see the problem only seems to occur for the first 30-35 minutes of my run! My CPE was not expired either.