This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

vivoactive 4 (all versions) SW 5.10

This update can be downloaded with Garmin Express or automatically with Garmin Connect Mobile. 

Change Log

• Improved sync speed with Garmin Connect Mobile
  • Improved translations
  • Added access to detailed activity information from the Last Sport widgets
  • Various bug fixes for golf and club sensors
  • Increased maximum pool size
  • Improved CIQ Data Field power management and error handling
  • Fixed gesture handling for CIQ watch faces
  • Fixed handling of disabled cards in Garmin Pay
  • Improved NFC stability
  • Added a stopwatch reminder
  • Fixed rowing speed data field
  • I redid the downgrade and this time I removed my wifi credentials. The watch won't know there is an upgrade unless I connect to express.

Hmm. Will Garmin Connect eventually update it?

• Connect, Express and Watch WiFi can update the software. 

• Over 12h with overnight, only 4% battery on v5.0, dramatic difference than 5.10.

• Garmin People, please fix the excessive battery drain since the last update.

It is a problem to charge the device every few days.
  • Same for me: critical battery drained without explanation.

This morning when I woke up: battery at 78% in my vivoactive 4S (22% per day whereas before it was more less 16% / 17% per day).

Now, 5 hours later, 48% battery, meaning 30% consumed, around 6% per hours !!!

No Bluetooth, no GPS, minimal light on the screen...

For sure, this evening my battery will be empty before I come back to home.

If not fix quickly, I will request a refund because the specification on the garmin site is totally wrong,  autonomy is not until 7 days which is for sure wrong.

• FYI after contacting support:

They first provided a pre formatted "do a factory reset and remove the connect app" solution. When I replied that it did not work, they said they would replace my watch! 

So apparently the damage this update can cause is so bad that the hardware is not recoverable ???

To be fair, I haven't seen anyone else reporting that none of their sensors are working anymore so my device might be the corner case of corner cases.

chrome
    chrome
  • I doubt that the software damages the hardware of the watch, but it could be that the version of hardware you had was not compatible with the new software.

• No I don't think there's actual physical damage to the hardware. But there's definitely a firmware compatibility issue. 

chrome
    chrome
  • So, does it really sound reasonable to you that the only logical conclusion from this is that the software update damaged the hardware? And this based off one factory reset not fixing your problem? Seems like false dichotomy.

Yes, software could damage hardware in the sense that some software updates can also update firmware for specific hardware, and this can go wrong. This is probably very rare.

By all means take Garmin up on the offer in sending in your watch for a replacement. There is a chance that there have been hardware revisions within the device, and replacement is effectively the only way to get “problem prone” hardware out of circulation. However, this is also only a presumption, and also quite unlikely. You could also revert back to V5.0.

This 5.1 update has a definite affect with IQ app stability. Watch faces, apps, widgets, can be affected, and so far I’ve noticed only a few of developers have are active with their updates. A watch face I use that works fine in 5.0 has bugs on V5.1. That isn’t Garmin’s fault. IQ apps can, and historically have, contributed large amounts of battery drain if there is a conflict.