This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

vivoactive 4 (all versions) SW 5.10

This update can be downloaded with Garmin Express or automatically with Garmin Connect Mobile. 

Change Log

• Improved sync speed with Garmin Connect Mobile
  • Improved translations
  • Added access to detailed activity information from the Last Sport widgets
  • Various bug fixes for golf and club sensors
  • Increased maximum pool size
  • Improved CIQ Data Field power management and error handling
  • Fixed gesture handling for CIQ watch faces
  • Fixed handling of disabled cards in Garmin Pay
  • Improved NFC stability
  • Added a stopwatch reminder
  • Fixed rowing speed data field
  • It's odd to me that people with the same watch and the same update get different (bad) consequences. Did this downgrade help?

• This did not seem to help me so I am curious to hear your results.

• It could be that we have installed some widget/watchface/datafield/app which is somehow "incompatible" with new update

From update log:

Improved CIQ Data Field power management

- Improved sync speed with Garmin Connect Mobile

• Since my watch updated to 5.10:

- battery drain that's so bad the watch doesn't last 1 day, 35% in 1hour ??
    - watch doesn't display any data (steps, stairs)
    - HR monitor is not active
    - GPS doesn't work

A full factory reset didn't change a thing.

And in the time it took to write this, the watch went from 15% to Critically low Powering down.

chrome
    chrome
    chrome
    chrome
  • Gosh this Garmin crapperware must be frustrating. I'm happy I don't have serious issues but this kind of battery drain is unacceptable. And Garmin just doesn't care. I have written to support and Beta emails, but obviously getting a response from them is just as unlikely as a personalised letter from the president.

Doubt I'll be buying a Garmin product again. Ive had enough drama with the Edge 530 to already leave Garmin, but there are no Wahoo products to be had around here...

• Here are some instructions of what can be backed up and what can't...

A full factory reset is what I would recommend. It worked for me when I got my watch and was bombarded with a myriad of updates which consequently sent my battery consumption sky high... now I have an average of 0.8% consumption over a full cycle, and thats with 3-4h of GPS tracking and some indoor activities too.

https://www.correrunamaraton.com/en/garmin-backup-2020/

Its not ideal but it still saves time compared to setting up as new.

Garmin should offer a comprehensive backup/restore feature into Garmin Express that doesn't loose some of the features like Training Status, etc.

• Revert back to 5.0, do full factory reset, and try again...

See above my various replies for where to download the 5.0 version in the last beta download. Also my instruction of backing up and restoring. Also, I have mentioned how I spoofed my watch with a fake GUPDATE file to prevent a forced uptake to 5.1 again

Good luck.

• I'm going to make the presumption based off my EDGE 530 experience... I suspect that the reason software updates have such varying results is because Garmin likely changes/updates the hardware in the watches during production. Early devices might have different internal hardware to later watches based on issues Garmin discovers. As a consequence, there is now a complete mess of software and firmware for a slew of different hardware within one product.  Together with poor software testing, this can be a real issue...

• Mine is lasting less than a day... :/

• Hey Martin did this revert help your issues?