This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bluetooth Headphones

Hi all

strongly considering buying the vivo 4s but i'm being put off by the concerning reports around headphone compatibility. This is a deal breaker for me as i wish to run without my damn phone. Can any user shed some light on what they are finding / what works and what doesn't etc, much appreciated

Dan

• There have been some extensive threads on other device forums, not necessarily on the vivoactive 4 forum.

Have you seen this on the Garmin Support site? Bluetooth Headphone Compatibility for Garmin Watches That Feature Music

• yes saw that support article and my initial thought was 'is that it?' So came here to see if there are more options, seemed strange that a premium priced watch wasnt more compatible

• Understood. Garmin's testing is thorough as they are basically saying if you have an issue with any of the headphones on their list, Garmin will support you.

• If it helps - I'm using fairly cheap (but otherwise reliable) Taotronics bluetooth headphones and the sound is almost unbearable when I try to listen to music on my new Vivoactive 4S. It pops and crackles like it's a dusty old vinyl record. The headphones works fine on every other device I've used them on, but the Garmin seems to struggle with them. I'm wearing the watch on the same side and the bluetooth receiver and have tried all the hints and tips but still it persists. I got in touch with Garmin who basically told me to get lost - and that I should use *way* more expensive earphones, or expect bad sound quality. That's just my experience, of course. Perhaps others have had more positive results. 

• With hundreds of bluetooth headphones being released and many combinations of Garmin devices / software versions, it's no surprise that they released a compatibility list for just a select few headphones. I've been using a set of Anker Soundcore Liberty Neo's without issue on my 4s. My thinking was that I'd get a pair of headphones after the watch, and on the chance they didn't work just send them back for a refund.

A compatibility table was put together for the forerunner 645 which may be of some use.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-645-645-m/165278/headphone-compatibility-experience-table

Tom

• Thanks. Frustratingly, mine are on that list as working fine. I've actually got two pairs of identical headphones (after an ordering mix-up!) and they both have the issue. I've been wondering whether they're pairing with something else first and getting their knickers in a twist when the watch connects, but I've factory reset the headphones, and unpaired them from everything else I can find around the place (as well as powering off my phone and laptop, just in case). Same issue. I think I may just have to invest in some new earphones. 

• I found that trying to use the TaoTronics wireless headphones with this watch was useless as it wouldn't pair with them.  Trying outo another pair of TaoTronics Bluetooth headphones with NO other device connections, they paired up immediately.

I don't think this watch is strong enough to 'over-pair' other devices, such as your phone.  I even tried it with the phone switched off completely, and put in another room, with the initial headphones.

So, if you have a spare pair, you could get away with it.  The sound is crisp, and crackle free for me.

• I've pretty much given up on them. If factory resetting them - and then pairing them half a mile away from my home (with *no* other electrical devices on me) still causes a bad sound quality - and it does - there's not much more I can do. I've reluctantly ordered some new earbuds. 

• And to clarify - pairing wasn't an issue. It was the sound quality when they *did* pair that was the problem. As if the signal was really weak or something. 

• Bought the Jabra Elite Active 75t and have used it with my Vivoactive 4s for months now with no issues. Sounds great,