This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS accuracy really poor (example map included)

I am very disappointed in the GPS accuracy of my Vivoactive 4 (first Garmin I've bought). Here is a link to a run I exported (blue line) and the actual course I ran (red line, accidentally made it two lines). As you can see there are certain parts where accuracy is really disappointing, not something I expect from Garmin. It was measured using GPS and Galileo. Is there anything being done by Garmin on the software side to address this? I bought this watch because of Garmin's reputation for GPS tracking and accuracy.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YagGpb1iEPGLwnHVdjLzHFtNBp4_QrHO&usp=sharing 

• I've only cycled twice with the watch but I just looked and it is more accurate, if my runs were that accurate I'd be pretty happy!

• I tried out the new device, I haven't seen much of a difference in accuracy sadly

• I've had 4 different pieces from Garmin, everyone with the same problem. It's not the hardware, unless something is seriously broken, you will have this bad accuracy problem with all cars. Only option is to buy that's proven accurate but reviewers

• To be hinest, I am really not satisfied with the accuracy as well. To record activities using Gps properly, it should be state of the art in the meanwhile to keep the difference between tracking and real life at a minimum. Check out my example track (the track should be a straight line along the street) .. If I could, I would return the watch as soon as possible... Not only because the BT and GPS related battery drain but also due to the massive gps issue, which seems to be not in focus at Garmin....

• All of this is due to the sony gps. As far a i know garmin use it also. This sony GPS is know as an accurycy like an old blind woman drawing lines on a map.

• parece que el chip de sony es bastante malo e impreciso, es posible que gaste menos energía, pero la rapidez y la precisión son bastantes malas, desde luego, el vivoactive 4 no se merece un GPS tan pobre, tuve le vivoactive 3 y era más rapido y preciso que este

• The main issue is the degraded track and elevation performance over multiple updates. If it's related to power savings which is part of the reason for using the chipset give us two options.

• Is anyone still having problems with accuracy? Mine is always off by like 5m or so. On the map I'm always walking a few meters next to the actual path like @JuBear and @harryg experiencing.

• GPS is only accurate within a few meters.  It's just how it works.  You can stand still in a spot and you'll see it bounce around a bit.  Add to that, think about when you run - your arm is moving back and forth relative to the direction you are moving.  Also, as you move your body, you are interfering with signals from various sats all the time.

And then add to that smart recording vs 1 second recording (default is "smart") where you're GPS track might be more "choppy" vs every second (there is a setting on the watch for this)

• Thanks for pointing that out. There is no difference for me in smart or 1-second setting. Neither in gps or gps + other satellites. Ive testet a Forerunner 235 a while ago and the gps was perfect every run / hike. So the body interfering problem doesnt seem to occur on that watch. What do you think about that?