This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery draining 20-25% per day

I bought VA4 about a week ago, fully charged it to 100%. Pulse ox off, notifications off, gestures low sensitivity, timeout fast, brightness 10%. Used Garmin watch face. 
Had one 30 minutes cardio session, otherwise on smart watch mode the whole duration. 
Battery drained to 5% in 4 days. No way near 8 days advertised. I chose the watch for battery life.

I tried Venu 2 weeks ago and I got 6.5 days battery life with same settings as above, however the screen gestures didn’t work when lying down exercising on the floor. Had to sit up right of it to respond.

Any experiences with Vivoactive 4 battery, has Garmin responded to this issue?

• I have exactly the same issue, same settings. I got this for Christmas. I have contacted Garmin and they gave me generic drivel about settings and battery life. I did a factory reset, fully charged, and it went down 26% while I slept. I am so very frustrated.

• I had 20% per day before 4.00 update. After 4.00 and some small optimalizations of my DIY watchface I'm currently on 81% of battery after almost two days, PulseOx during sleep on, notifications on, activity tracking on. So it looks like it can be possible to get near 8 days in smartwatch mode. But I have not time for longer tests

• Would you be so kind as to list the settings and things you have on your watch to get that? Or compare to mine? I have:

This uses 3-5% per hour of battery life since 4.00 (with 3.80 I was still using 1.3% and only getting 3.5 days, now it is even worse!)

Standard Garmin watch face

Backlight 10%

wrist HR ON

Pulse ox OFF

Bluetooth ON

Activity tracking ON

Move alert ON

MoveIQ ON

Physio Trueup ON

Incident Detection ON

no Wifi

no Garmin Pay

no music/spotify/deezer

no gps activities

• Thank you for your feedback, it is indeed frustrating because I made a decision to buy based on Garmin’s advertisement of battery life on this watch which is absolutely false. I am returning the watch on Monday and try something else. I have no idea what to buy anymore as you can’t trust what Garmin says. I am very disappointed and have lost confidence seeing so many negative reviews on their watches. Thanks 

• My DIY watch face (only digital, date, time, some device status, movebar, distance, steps, HR, calories, optimised only for VA4)
    phone connected on
    notifications on
    backlight 10%
    timeout short
    gesture on during activity sensitivity low
    vibration low
    data recording smart
    wrist HR on
    pulse ox during sleep
    BT on
    activity tracking on
    move alert on
    moveiq on
    physio trueup on
    incident detection bike on
    no wifi
    only smartwatch mode without activities (run,..), without GPS, without music

currently I'm on 80% after 49hours
    edit: but it's only short test after update...

• Thanks jha2 for sharing , that’s a huge improvement. If I could get 10-13% consumption per day I would be happy. That should give me about 7days battery life which is acceptable in my opinion.I wish Garmin can respond to these complaints, their silence is deafening. They are pushing us to explore other brands. Thanks a lot

• I learned from Garmin stuff on chat some time ago that: yes, they read the forums and what people write here. But it doesn't count as a bug report. So if you want to report some problems, forum isn't the place for that. 

• I have a VA 4 running 4.0 and am getting about 10 days of battery life with about 3-4 hours of GPS running per week. Originally, I was getting about 4 days per charge, but with some changes it is performing much better.

Watch face choice and settings can make a big difference.

I use the pre-installed blue swirl watch face with only time, date and battery life displayed.  Nothing that will update more often than once a minute.  I edited the watch face to not display the seconds bar that swirls around the outside.  I have also used the swirling wires watch face and displayed time, date, batter life and sunrise/sunset with similar results.

Backlight 20%, gesture activation off.

wrist HR ON 24/7, broadcast HR off

Pulse ox OFF

Bluetooth OFF (except for when syncing, although I have left it on at times and it hasn't seemed to affect battery life much.  I have read that it can drain the battery if it is connected to a phone and the phone goes out of range, but I have not experienced it.)

Activity tracking ON

Move alert OFF

MoveIQ OFF

Physio Trueup ON

Incident Detection ON

WiFi setup, but not used

no Garmin Pay

no music/spotify/deezer.  headphones not connected. Music source set to Phone, which greys out the music player when Bluetooth is off.

Notifications off

3-4 hrs of GPS runs per week.

GPS set to GPS only in the Run App settings,  no GLONASS or Galileo

• That’s unbelievable, it’s a great improvement. I am on similar settings , even lower brightness. Perhaps I should charge it again and try software update and see what happens. Thanks

• I have reported my issues to Garmin directly both the vivoactive 4 and venu issues that I had. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

Thanks