This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to make an activity type available on my watch?

I can select paddle surfing on my watch. I would like the kayaking activity type made available on my watch. How can I do this?

• You can copy an activity and give it a different name, but the basic sport stays the same.

You might be able to find a CIQ app that has kayaking as it's native sport.

• In my watch i can select several sports. Each sport has an activity type. I can copy and change every time the type of the activity. What i want is a create a sport e.g. Kayak with the correct activity type (Kayaking). Is there a way to make activity types available on the watch? 

• Is there a way to rename the copied activity? 

For example I made a copy of RUN and is now called RUN(2). Is there a way to rename this copy?

• When you record an activity, it will still show as a "run" on Garmin Connect.

• Some people have had luck copying sport files from different watches.

I've attached "Kayaking" from a Fenix 6, in a ZIP file. Download, unzip, move the "Kayak.fit" file to the "SPORTS" folder on your VA4 (it's likely within the GARMIN folder).

Reboot the watch.

If it shows up, awesome, let us know. If not, well, let us know too so we'll know it's a hardware restriction.

We know there are hardware lockouts on some watches - the "FLY" profile from the D2 Series and MARQ Aviator won't work on a Fenix, nor will some of the sport profiles from a Fenix move to a Forerunner 45 or 245.

Kayak.zip

As an aside: this is why people buy the higher end Garmin watches. You CAN save anything using a basic "Cardio" or "Other" sport profile but you'd have to manually change the activity type in Garmin Connect after sync. This is fine for a once-a-year thing but tedious if you do a sport regularly that your watch doesn't support.

• Can we get some feedback here on whether or not the kayak.fit file worked?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Otto-Destruct

I have upload the kayak into "Sports" folder, reboot the V4s, with no result. Looks like a hardware restriction.

• I had no time to do this. A friend advise me to install Dozen Kayak. But this doesn't have an impact on the activity type. 

I will try your solution and give feedback. 

• I've copied the fit file in the directory and rebooted (stop and start the watch) the watch. It doesn't work... 

• BTW all other .fit files have a size of 1,36 kb and the kayak.fit is 3,83 kb .