This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swimming “auto-rest” - will this feature be added to the VA4?

I want to buy the VA4 because the touch screen is appealing.  However, I really want to have the auto-rest feature for swimming (one of my primary sports).  I’d rather not have to buy the 245M due to non-touch interface and the Swim 2 does not have Music integration which is important to me for gym workouts.  I know most people will say that a touch screen does not work well in water, and that is right, but with auto-rest I could start a swim and lock the screen on the VA4.  

Can you tell me if this feature is planned to be added to the VA4 in a future firmware update?  If not, can you consider adding it and also the underwater HR reading?  Honestly, the Apple Watch does both of these things out of the box, and I am tempted to get an AW, but Spotify integration is a big driver for me to Garmin.  These two features added to the VA4 would be really great for masters (or any pool) swimmers!  

• Upvote! I agree that it would be fantastic if the Swim 2 features were added to VA4. 

When it comes to underwater HR reading, note that it is already working.

• Display is locked automatickly after start swimming activity....You can pause activity by upper button

• Swim 2 features include: Advanced Swim Workouts, Auto rest, Critical Swim Speed, Swim Pacing Alerts

• By auto rest you mean that the watch automatically detect rest?

For rest between intervals I use the lower button not the top one, and then I get activity split by intervals.

The HR works for swimming, I don't know how accurate but it works

Personally I would like to have configurable data screen for rest time with 4 fields. During swim I take quick look and can hardly read 1-2 numbers (where the second number is more of educational guess rather than actual reading) but during rest I can look carefully at the watch

• I don’t think all of the swim2 features should be added because then there would be no advantage to buying the swim2!  However, auto-rest (auto detecting when you have stopped at the wall) is something BASIC that should be in all modern watches.  Polar and Suunto also have this feature.  I should not have to press a button at the end of every single interval to get my swim stats.  That’s crazy.  I swim a lot of 50’s and 100s during a practice and I don’t want to worry about my watch.  

P.S. I’d also be happy with a Garmin Swim 2 Music :) (Spotify for land workouts, not underwater).  

• Wow, I was so locked on VA4 that  I didn't even know that Swim 2 is coming...I had Garmin Swim folr about 7 years....

I'm not sorry for purchasing VA4 since I use the music during my walks, but If I was aware, I might have re-consider other solutions for music

• Hi Guyezra! 

yesterday I was doing my first swim with my brand new VA4. I discovered that pushing the bottom button is pausing the activity and also creating a split that is very useful.

But how do I restart after the rest? I was more or less randomly pressing all buttons with the result I was creating several empty splits. What should I do to restart from rest? Just swim away? 

Thanks 

• simply another quick press on the bottom button

I find it helpful to set on the the vibration, so when pressing the button for the new interval to start, the watch will vibrate and you don't need to look if it has finished the rest or not.

• I have noticed that Auto Rest was added on version 4

This is great!
    I will see how it works

• I have seen it yesterday, after my swim, so I didn't try. let us know if it works and how it works.