This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to send custom workout to the watch?

On the mobile Garmin Connect app I can create custom workouts for the already defined cattegories, like cardio, pilates, running etc. and then send them to the watch. But I can also create my own type of custom workouts but somehow it can't be transefered/synced with the watch. Am I missing something or this is another bug?

• Just bought a vivoactive 4 and I can confirm that custom workouts can be created and transferred to the device, by clicking on the send to device icon on the right of the screen. If you then click on the A button and select the relevant activity, swipe the the arrow up at the bottom (which is not always going easy), you then will see workout as an option, click on it and select the workout that you created.

• I have recently bought a 4s, and I can't send custom workouts to it either.

Created a workout on my phone via Connect IQ, then clicked Send to Device. Looks like it's gone, but nowhere to be found on the watch. If I go into Garmin Connect, I can see my custom workout, I try Send to Device but "No compatible devices found."

I downloaded a workout via Connect IQ, these upload ok. If I create a Cardio workout or any of the other types, I can send them to the watch. However, if it's "Custom" I can't.

"Custom" allows me to enter steps/moves that may not be in the default list, and I can't find a easy to create custom steps.

Bit miffed as I spent a long time inputting a very interesting workout I found! 

• Hello there,

I have the same problem.

I was able to do that a few weeks ago, but now I'm not able to upload any workouts (run,bike, custom), either from phone or a PC?

This is really annoying guy and it is a very important function!

Please help.

Krzysztof

• Hi, yaatzek,

I too cannot directly sync a custom workout with my new VivoActive4 Garmin watch. Very disappointing. One would expect better from a multi-billion dollar corporation that has otherwise been so successful and offers so many great alternatives to Apple Watch... Anyhow, what I was able to do was access the workout from the calendar on the watch, after adding it to the calendar on the custom workout page from my Mac Safari browser, if that makes sense.

I am new to this all, so forgive any disjointed or unclear info. Hope this helps!

- John H

• This did not work for me, and apparently did not work for some others, either. The customized workout does not show in the available workouts after clicking the A button, even after deleting most other canned workouts for space and after syncing the watch. Here's what did work for me, from my response to yaatzek:  

I too cannot directly sync a custom workout with my new VivoActive4 Garmin watch. Very disappointing. One would expect better from a multi-billion dollar corporation that has otherwise been so successful and offers so many great alternatives to Apple Watch...

Anyhow, what I was able to do was access the workout from the calendar on the watch, after adding it to the calendar on the custom workout page from my Mac Safari browser, if that makes sense.

I am new to this all, so forgive any disjointed or unclear info. Hope this helps!

- John H

• VA4 supports custom workouts of predefined workout types. But does not support custom workout types. Don't mix workouts and workout types. For workouts, there is limit of 25 inside watch, including pre-installed ones. If you cannot upload workout, try to delete some other. When you have already 25, you can only send them to calendar. 

• I understand the difference between workouts and workout types, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean here otherwise.

I deleted all pre-installed workouts except for three of them, and was still not able to send a custom workout to my VA4 via the "Send to Device" function.

By chance, I did find that sending it to the calendar on the Garmin page made it show up not only on the calendar on the watch, but also under its workout type on the watch, i.e. tapping on the workout type ("Strength" and "Yoga" for my two custom workouts) and seeing the custom workouts there. (Again, by chance on my own with no instruction from Garmin)

So, apparently, we can only send them to the watch via "Add to Calendar", regardless of how many workouts there are already installed on the watch.

• Thanks, this worked for me. I found my custom run workout by choosing 'Run,' then swiping up, then selecting 'Workouts'. The one I'd created was the third option down, just titled 'Run Workout'. To check it's the right one, select it then press 'View'. It'll show you what's been programmed.

• You can selected "Custom" from the workout type drop down when creating custom workouts.  You cannot run these workout types on VA3/4.  You can create custom workouts for Running, etc.  Terminology is confusing - this should be called activity type e.g. Running, Swimming etc.  So if you selected the "Custom" activity type and then create a custom workout it won't work on the VA3/4 - you will get the "Not compatible" message!!!  Annoying.

• Vivoactive 4 does not support custom workouts. This feature blocked. And you cant to upload workout to VA4.  You can buy more expensive garmin devices or... not garmin ;)