This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Lenghts and stroke detection during swim sessions fails miserably

sI'm not aware whether this is an issue for all Garmin devices (I expect it to be so) but the VA4 fails miserably in detecting the correct strokes and number of lengths. Atop of that, the "rest lap" screen doesn't contain heart rate and during a rest lap, there's no possibility to go to the main screen to see the heart rate.

Wrong stroke/length detection

I do know that it is impossible to detect how far you've swam indoor, but I'd expect the device wouldn't be that sensitive for disturbances. Last week, I noticed there were interruptions in the lengths (the watch detected two lengths when I really swam only one) and while searching, I came across the Tips to improve swim distance accuracy. So I decided to be very careful today. Not a lot of people were in the pool so I had the chance to carefully swim breaststroke, long stretched armes in the glide, wide pull, ... During my first lap, there was no disturbance. Yet, the device decided to detect several backstrokes in stead

Erroneously detected backstrokes

I accidentally stopped the activity tracking (while trying to figure out how to read your heart rate during rest laps - spoiler: you can't), so I started a new activity. In this entire activity, all strokes were detected correctly as backstroke. I noticed the same behaviour last week, where I deliberately stopped an activity in the water and started it again. Second recording had all strokes correctly.

However, this second recording fails in detecting several lengths correctly. I had a little disturbances here: more people in the water splashed water in my eyes while I was not wearing goggles so I touched my face for a split second then continued the stroke. It is possible that this has caused the watch starting a new length, while I was still moving in the same direction. Besides, when I always need around 45s to complete a length, there's no way that I can suddenly complete a length in 20s...

As I use this device mainly for swimming, this disappoints me quite a lot. I replaced my broken Samsung Gear Fit 2 which never failed a stroke or length detection (but the battery was always a disaster)

It seems however that there are not a lot of swimmers in the Garmin community, but does someone experience the same behaviour?

Limited screen options in rest

This is a bizarre design decision. While swimming, there's no way that you can take a look at your data fields because your arms are moving. You'd be able to take a look at them during a rest lap. However, the screen that is shown during a rest lap only contains the distance and the time that you swam, and the timer to see how long you're resting. There's no possibility to switch back to the main screen or to adjust the rest screen. In some way, it would make more sense to have a limited screen during your swim activity, then have a more detailed screen during your rest lap.

Are there Garmin employees monitoring this forum? Or where can I file a bug report / change request?

What are your experiences?

• Can you share how you can active oHR for swimming? Also where can I see stroke type? Disappointed I have VA 4s. 

• Can you share how did you activate HR monitoring for swimming? Also where can I see my stroke type? Disappointed

• HR monitoring is automatically active. I thing it has always been there, but to be sure, make sure you're on the latest firmware (it's currently 3.5)

Stroke types are visible in connect.garmin.com: open your swim activity, scroll down to Stats (under the charts) and choose the tab Intervals. You can open such an interval to see the lengths and their stroke types: one stroke type per length.

• While there have been several updates in the mean time, I leaned how to improve my swimming as well. I'm still missing the data fields (especially the heart rate during rest) but I managed to learn how to swim correctly. Might be because of an improvement in the software, but definitely because of an improvement of my swimming style.

Length detection still fails miserably when you can't swim continuously. I still think some AI can see that normally I swim in around 24 strokes, so when I suddenly have a length of 15 followed by 9, it should be able to merge those lengths.

• yesterday I was in the pool for the first time after the 4.00 upgrade on my VA4. This time I managed to have all lengths properly counted (I had to count them mentally as in the old time), but some of breaststrok ones were recognized as backstrocke. 

I saw that there is an auto-rest function available, but I haven't try it. Did anyone use it so far? 

• I used Auto rest and It works well