This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"No Pulse Ox Data" , how to fix? Ohhh, setting in a completely diff place....

I started with the VivoSmart, which I liked, but it only tracked 4 hours of SPO2 at night. I need at least all night measurement, and pref 24x7.

So I switched to the VivoActive 4S, the watch. It is a very nice device.

But zero SPO2 data is being captured!

And no settings in the smartphone app related to SPO2 (where on the vivosmart it was in the smartphone app)

And now I dug and found it, have to dig through settings in the vivosmart itself

PITA (and four days of lost data as a result)

Poor design to have one stack of settings in the app, and another stack in the watch. Dupe in both places, or put em all in one place.....

• Yeah, got the same prpblem. Actiavated it through the GarminConnect App on my Android phone and thought that this would work. Well well... Nothing first...

After digging through the menus on the watch then there was another menu where you had to activate it. Seems that the settings in the app aren't binded correctly to the watch interface.

• Part one:

I have had a Vivoactive 4 for about one week. I have had a Venu for about 3 weeks. On both watches I set the Oxygen levels to "all day". This is quite a misleading wording - it would be better described as "always on".

When you set the oxygen (SPo2) to "all day" the watch actually attempts to take a reading constantly - day and night. All day meaning 24/7. Garmin have set it up to not take a reading if the user is moving. I presume that they have done this because it is extremely difficult to obtain an accurate oxygen level reading when someone is active.

• Part two:

Even the Oximeters used by Consultants and Nurses during the 6 minute walk test are the claw type/clip on type. These are very prone to moving and in the instructions it actually states that the patient must be still/ inactive to obtain an accurate reading.

When you have oxygen administered constantly and need constant oxygen level readings hospitals use a soft, rubber type probe. This probe slips snuggly over the finger or thumb. This type of probe is also used when a patient has an all night sleep test. If the patient moves and the probe is dislodged an alarm sounds.

I have an FDA approved Oximeter which takes readings constantly. It has this soft rubber type probe which slips right over my finger. The only time it doesn't take a reading is when the probe is knocked/moved and it has an alarm which can be set for if the probe loses contact.

The Garmin Vivoactive 4 and the Garmin Venu are identical except for the display on my Garmin Venu has an "always on" setting which only comes on when you turn the wrist. This may be a faulty watch but from what people who regularly do reviews are saying this is what is meant by "always on" on the Venu. It should state always on when you turn your wrist! If my watch isn't faulty then this is very misleading.

To set your Garmin Vivoactive 4 or Garmin Venu to monitor oxygen levels all night:

1. Press button B.

2. Scroll to settings ( gear icon).

3. Enter the settings menu and scroll to "wrist heart rate".

4. Scroll to "Pulse Ox" and set to "All day tracking".

5. Make sure your watch is set to monitor your heart rate constantly because if that is turned off the watch cannot take oxygen readings. I have my Venu set to "auto". I think on the Vivoactive 4 there was a "Smart" setting and an "every second" setting. ( I may be confused over this and the Vivoactive 4 is packed to be returned so I'm sorry I cannot check it.)

"All day tracking" actually means "always on - 24/7".

When you have set the watch to measure your oxygen levels constantly the watch will attempt to take readings constantly. However, if you are moving the sensors (I think) stop the reading from being taken. Therefore you will usually get readings throughout the night unless you move a lot. Readings during the day will be sporadic depending on whether you are moving around.

If the watch states "check fitting" or has stopped taking readings the manual states that you should rinse the watch in cold water and wash your arm. It also states that this should be done after sweating. The manual states the watch should be fitted above the wrist bone but I cannot get a reading when I have it there. I have had to put mine in what I consider the "normal" watch position - the strap passing over the bone. I do have a lot of skeletal abnormalities so this may be why. Who knows!

Source: I have been prescribed supplemental oxygen since 2013 on the NHS in the UK. Remember the Garmin watches, like most others, are not suitable for medical purposes. I hope this will help. If you have further questions you can contact me.

• Part three:

PLEASE NOTE:

It will stop recording heart rate and oxygen levels when the battery reaches 10%. Solution: Ensure device is over 50% before going to sleep.

I hope my whole answer is now there in two parts. Sorry for the very long post but I am Dyspraxic and find it difficult to be concise. I also wanted the answer to help all knowledge levels. I am a new Garmin user.

Edit: FOUND the choice of "Smart" vs "every second". I have mine set on "every second". This is found by: go to settings ( gear icon on watch), click on "activity tracking", click on "system", scroll down to "data recording", here is the choice between "smart" or "every second". I have mine set on "every second" but I may try the other setting to see what happens. I just wanted to let you know in case this setting is crucial to obtain constant readings of heart rate/respiration/& oxygen.

• Thank you, very helpful. 

• I've had my Venu a while now so if you need any further help with the Venue or with the Garmin apps please feel free to ask.

[email protected]