This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivoactive 3 elevation goes nuts

I've been using the Running widget while playing tennis.  The elevation data suddenly increased part way through the last couple matches, resulting in insanely high floor counts (more than 90 over not quite 90 minutes this evening).  I've cleaned the watch and done a hard reset per the suggestions in other threads, with no improvement.  Here's the elevation data, while running around a flat court:

Any suggestions for what to try next?

• Mine does the same. Yesterday I did a run on a riverside, without any relevant elevation. Vivoactive 3 reported 184 m climb. Garmin Support could not help me with this problem before (expect offering me to buy a Vivoactive 4).

What helps for the tracked activity is to enable altitude correction in Garmin Connect (in the browser, didn't find the feature in the app). It uses map data then, instead of the barometer of the watch (which came to much more realistic 26m climb in my case). As far as I know there is no way to set this behaviour as a default for the Vivoactive 3.

• I've been using the Running widget while playing tennis.  The elevation data suddenly increased part way through the last couple matches, resulting in insanely high floor counts (more than 90 over not quite 90 minutes this evening).  I've cleaned the watch and done a hard reset per the suggestions in other threads, with no improvement.  Here's the elevation data, while running around a flat court:

Hello! Can I have you test the sensor that measures your elevation and temperature? With your watch powered off, turn the unit on and as soon as the display turns on, press and hold the button. Wait for the device to vibrate 3 times and release the button (there will be a gap between the second and third). Then press the button 15 times to access the Barometer Test screen. Please let me know the values on the right side or share a picture if you can! Also, can you let me know if you are in the US or Canada?

• Thanks.  I'm in the US.  Here's the picture:

In general, the barometer works correctly.  Some days I may need 15 trips upstairs for it to count 10, but that's typical.  It seems to be limited to when I'm tracking exercise.  So far, it's only been with GPS on, but I don't have any long GPS off activities for comparison since it first started 9 days ago; the running widget did work correctly 16 days ago.

• In general, the barometer works correctly.  Some days I may need 15 trips upstairs for it to count 10, but that's typical.  It seems to be limited to when I'm tracking exercise.  So far, it's only been with GPS on, but I don't have any long GPS off activities for comparison since it first started 9 days ago; the running widget did work correctly 16 days ago.

Okay, I have sent you an email!

• hi, i have a very similar "screenshot" of swfulton and my barometer in activities always report wrong altitude that I have to correct by garmin connect.

is there any solutions??

thanks

• hi, i have a very similar "screenshot" of swfulton and my barometer in activities always report wrong altitude that I have to correct by garmin connect.

is there any solutions??

thanks

Hey there! How off is the elevation that is reported? Have you tried calibrating it or cleaning the sensor on the watch? Here is a helpful article on how to do this: 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=FmE1UxYdn56rYdmThGbO06

• I tried this and seems it worked just for a while...

after starting run activities, it didn't work anyway; here's the wrong altitude:

and here's the one corrected by garmin connect:

on the punctual position, it's wrong almost 20/30 meters.

sometimes return also negative measurement!!!

• Can you let me know where you are located?

• I was outdoor, in a park, in Rome

• today same location, same segments, but I run underwater!!! Stuck out tongue