This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Tried my Vivoactive3 on the golf course last week but the distances all were all in meters even though I've set the distances to yards for golf. Everything else is generally in meter (live in Canada). Any suggestions?

Tried my Vivoactive3 on the golf course last week but the distances all were all in meters even though I've set the distances to yards for golf.  Everything else is generally in meter (live in Canada).  Any suggestions?

• There are settings for units in the Garmin Connect app, the Garmin Golf app and the VA3 as well. Maybe you have to try changing one after the other to find the correct one.

• Make sure that the Connect App under User Settings is as follows: Unit of measure - Statute UK; Golf Distance units: Yards

I live in Canada as well.

• I tried this. Changing the Garmin golf app to use yards changes the whole Vivoactive 3 device to use miles and yards for all activities.

So it seems that you have deprecated the ‘Golf Distance Units’ option in Connect, but changing this in the Garmin Golf app doesn’t change the Vivoactive settings in the same way. Can you fix this?

1 metre = 1.09361 yards, is not a difficult calucation for a 1980s calculator to do, never mind a 2020 smartwatch.

Regards,

Pete

---

Sent: 16 January 2020 10:32
    To: Undisclosed recipients:
    Subject: Re: Vivoactive 3 Golf Yards <Q#:1000105> << Reference ID: 15673086K0 >>

Hi  Pete ,

Thanks for your feedback, I've been looking further into this & I've now been informed that Golf Distance Units, as show in Connect app is a legacy option.

You should now use the Garmin Golf app to achieve the desired settings.

Please find confirmation of these changes here

Kind regards,

Stephen

Garmin Europe

---

To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: Vivoactive 3 Golf Yards << Reference ID: 15673086K0 >>

Sent: 14/01/2020 10:24

What is the point of this setting then?

Garmin connect app > settings> Golf Distance Units = Yards

*** Sent from my mobile device, please forgive brevity and any typing errors.

---

On 14 January 2020 14:14:24 <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi  Pete,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your query.

I do understand what you are referring to. However there is no permanent way at this stage to change the two types of settings, with one type of measurements for your activities and another for golf measures. The only workaround on this device would be to change the units each time before playing golf to the correct measurements and then amend them back afterwards.

Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future Garmin products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be implemented, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions. Please share your ideas with us at the following page on our website: http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

I am sorry this isn't the response you would of hoped for, I can only apologise and pass on your feedback for you. 

Kind regards,

Marie

Garmin Europe

---

Original Message ...
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Vivoactive 3 Golf Yards
    Sent: 12/01/2020 08:12

Hi,

There seems to be a clear error on the implementation of yards on the golf
    activity on the vivoactive 3. I would like to use km/metres for all my runs
    and cycles, but yardages for my golf (like I would imaging 80-90 percent of
    other golfers).

There seems to be 2 settings for this on the Garmin connect app > settings>
    user settings > Units:

Units of Measure = Metric
    Golf Distance Units = Yards

However, when I download the courses to the app and then to the phone using
    these settings I find the yardages to the front, middle and back of the
    green are in metres and the option for my driving distance to be in metres
    as well. There seems to be no way of changing this on the watch in the golf
    activity settings.

The only way I can get the distance in yards is if I select 'Statute UK' as
    the units of measure on the Garmin Connect App before downloading the
    course. However, this changes all activities to imperial/miles. I do not
    want this and I don't want to have to remember to switch it constantly
    between activities.

I don't think this is the intended behaviour, as I see no reason for the
     'Golf distance units = yards' setting to exist otherwise.

This is a significant issue for me and may result in returning the watch.
    Can you fix this?

Also an option to turn off selecting the flag position would be good (and
    just set to middle of green), as I don't need and it just turns on all the time during golf as the watchface rubs on my coat during winter golf.

Regards,

Pete

• The only thing i have done to ease the pain is have my watch set to miles and yards and link to strava and set that to KM. Then just use strava to view your runs and Cycles.

Completely ridiculous that this has not been fixed my Garmin when marketing a Golf watch.

• Just discovered this 'problem', hopefully you can sort.  The home of golf is always in yards although I do like to walk kilometres.  Given that the field for 'golf yards' is there, one would hope that it should be an easy fix  Colin

• Thanks Colin, but unfortunately as others have noted, it doesn't seem to matter if you set golfing up in yards, if everything on Garmin is in metric then the course distances will be in meters. I've resigned myself to that.

• Make sure the User Settings in the Connect app for Units are set as follows: Unit of Measure: Statute UK, Golf Distance Units: Yards

• Thanks LBarter, but that's the problem. You are forced to set everything in Connect in Imperial measurements in order to have golf measurements in yards. But what if you live in a country where everything is in metric except for legacy activities such as golf? Is that possible?

• I am in Canada as well and changing to Metric while retaining Yards for Golf gives me yards via the golf app.

• It's simple fix for the huge development resources of Garmin, the units of measure need to be set by the user and be specific by each Activity Profile on the watch.

So for running/cycling I should be able to select Metric

and for the Golf profile I want to set as Imperial Yards

Without having to try and remember to switch the setting in the main menu when I do a different activity - which never happens.

The fact the watch ignores the settings in Garmin Connect for golf specific distance is shockingly bad.