This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivoactive HR - probable water damage

I live in Ireland.  Since swimming one day, the watch won't work, despite the "50M" notice on the back of the watch.  When I connect it to the PC, it says it charges to 100%, it says it syncs and it says it installs the latest upgrade.  But when I unplug it, the screen won't scroll, the two buttons work intermittently, it says it’s installing an upgrade and then says it fails, and the charge drops to zero in an hour or so.

Any suggestions on how to fix it, or an address to send it to Garmin for repair if needed?

• Its a well know issue with the VAHR when it ages. Something to do with the seal not being adequate. Unfortunately the existing thread isn't available, since Garmin has yet (despited their promises) to give us the missing sub-Forums for older devices back... (Yeah, this new Forum is frustrating in too many ways!)

Unfortunately, I guess your VAHR is done for. Try turning it off and put it in a bag of rice for a day. But I guess it won't help anymore...

• You could also try to carefully pry the cover off and dry off any moisture that might be in there as a last ditch effort. If it's not working, you have nothing to lose.

• I'd contact support and at least see what your options are. 

• I have the same problem, my watch won't work anymore after using it for swimming in a pool :/  how can that be ?? This is a fitness tracker with dedicated swimming features...  Unfortunately i don't have the invoice anymore and Garmin is not supportive...

• Mine did die 2 weeks ago while I was swimming (not diving). It was 2 1/2 year old. I did contact Garmin, they offer me a new Vivoactive for € 131,-. I refused and askt if they could offer me a Vivioactive 3 but they where only aloud to offer the exact same model.

I don't want a HR anymore because they seems not be water resistant after a while.

I liked my Garmin but now I'm Looking for an other brand now.

• I think its not about HR, its about regular wear and tear. dropping your device may break or cause a damage to the tight seals that are suppose to keep water out. so all that has to be taken into account. my VA3 is 1 yr old and i used it for hiking in torrential rain, so far so good but yeah we should not drop it or hit it anywhere else. 

• Drop it?I wear it day and night. I just took off my watch to charge it and from day 1 I used an extra rubber cover (Aliepress) for protection.

• Same here.  Worn my watch every day for 2 1/2 years with no issues.  Used the swim function twice this week (first time swimming with V HR) and on second swim screen went blank.  I suspect the seals are not up to the job of keeping water out for 30 mins at less than 0.5m depth.  It's a shame because I love the watch.  Wish I had read reviews before trying to record swim activity.

• I think the 50 meters may means 50 meters away from water. My watch,  less than an year old, has just turned into a black screen after swimming on a swimming pool. So sad to read a lot of same problem in this forum. I loved my HR, but ir seems it is so weak  for water leak. 

• Less than a year?

Is that not covered by warranty?