Anyone use the continuous pulse ox during sleep? What are your results?

Hey guys,

Curious if anyone uses the continuous pulse ox during sleep? I want to get other people's results.

I have been having some sleeping troubles for a while now, and I have noticed that my Venu shows that my oxygen level regularly drops throughout the night. Generally to as low as 85%. As low as 82% one time. This seems concerning to me, as I am in good physical shape and relatively young (29 y/o). I'm reading online, that normal sleep blood ox should not drop below 88%. 

I am concerned that I may have sleep apnea or some other form of sleeping disorder.  Before I get to carried away and start seeing doctors etc, I wanted to see what other people are seeing from their watch, to rule out any inaccuracies etc.

Thanks everyone! 

• I have used the pulse ox during sleep on a fenix 6 and too have had it drop in to the mid 80's. My wife tells me that I snore and sometimes sounds like I stop breathing so I scheduled a home sleep test for sleep apnea. It was determined that I have minor sleep apnea. The test also showed a mean of 96%SPO2 with a low of 88%. Do you snore? I have heard that not everyone that snores has sleep apnea but everyone with sleep apnea snores. Don't know if it true or not. If  you are concerned, schedule a home sleep test. I paid less than $200 for it.

• I have a medically certified %SpO2 device, comparing the Venu to it, the Venu is always around 5 to 14% lower. I take that into account when reviewing sleep readings.

Still probably worth getting a sleep test done to be sure.Even allowing for that error rate your %SpO2 is a bit low, particularly for your age and fitness Slight smile

• I hover around 93-96%. I'm 46 and in relatively good physical shape.

• I don't really snore. It's very rare that I snore. I have had some "episodes" in the past where I would feel like I stopped breathing and I would wake up trying to take a deep breath. But that only happened a couple times and I always assumed it was a dream.

My average is still around 93-94% at night. But almost every night I have at least 1-2 drops.

I had my wife wear my watch, and she also dropped down to 85% as a lowest point at night.

Last night it hit its lowest yet, 80% exactly. What doesn't make sense, is that it doesn't line up with the respiratory rate at all on the garmin chart. At the time over my lowest O2 of 80%. My respiratory rate was around 13. Later on, when my O2 level was back to normal, my respiratory rate drops down to lows of 8. 

I wonder if something else is going on. I am a side sleeper, and often times I sleep on my arms wrong and they will go numb etc. I wonder if sleeping on your arm and having it go numb, will bring the O2 levels down on the watch. In theory, it makes sense. If your sleeping wrong on the arm, and cutting off blood supply. Of course the o2 levels are gonna drop, right? Just a theory. 

Maybe I'll schedule a sleep test just to be sure. Because I do have some heart palpitations/rhythm issues. And I know that sleep apnea can also play roles in that sometimes.

• It is normal when your O2 is low, your breathing is high(er) to compensate. When O2 is high, your breathing slows down.

• Yes I agree with your response. However, in my case my breaths per minute go right down to six, it appears that then my oxygen levels/SpO2 drop down to very low 80's or high 70's, then luckily I wake up!

I am  on oxygen but it was initially only prescribed for when I am active. I certainly should be on it all night. I have an FDA approved Oximeter which confirms that I have over 400 events where my oxygen levels drop below 92% for longer than 10 seconds, and over 280 events are below 90%. No wonder I feel so exhausted!

I will be sending the charts obtained via my FDA approved Oximeter (not information gathered by my Garmin device) to my Consultant.

Oxygen levels are considered abnormal if they are below 92%. More information can be found on the British Lung Foundation UK web site.

Remember: Garmin Smartwatches and almost ALL other tracking devices are not FDA approved and as stated in their instructions they are not suitable to be used as a medical monitoring device.

• You are not alone! Me too in day time its always above 95% and guess what! When It’s my bed time ( even before I sleep) it starts to deop below 94% and reaches 85% sometimes I still don’t know why I am 35 in a good shape and a runner I have mild snoring issue but the point is the % drops at bedtime even if I am still awake with no snoring! I use Forerunner 245  
  • Yeah, it's very strange. I'm 29 years old and in pretty good shape. 170lbs ant 6ft. I have some benign heart rhythm "issues", but nothing else really. It does this every night for me still. Some nights hitting 80-81%, but most nights around a low of 84-86%.  

I had my wife wear the watch, and she also hit about 87% once, but with a much more steady respiratory rate which mostly stayed round 13 and didnt drop to 6 etc like mine. 

I was scheduled for a sleep study appointment this week, but it was canceled because of the heavy coronavirus covid19 infections here in Michigan right now. Looks like I'll be waiting a while. 

• What is your sleeping % average each night? Is it in 80’s or 90’s and just drops sometimes? Btw My breath rate drops to 6 at night as well

• I have to wait awhile, too.  68 yr. old female and former marathon runner.  Still run daily and do at least 10,000 steps a day.  Vegan for 18 years.  7 years ago diagnosed with Hashimoto's with goiter.  Mistake may have been only going to a GP for this and not an endocrinologist.  Bought my watch about a month ago.  My pulse ox during sleep regularly drops to 77-80 - with an average of 90.  My GP says any appointments with an endo need to wait until the pandemic ends.